Username: Password:

Author Topic: Opinions on Kel-Tec  (Read 3004 times)

SupportThe2nd

Opinions on Kel-Tec
« on: April 14, 2021, 09:13:26 am »
Having never owned any of their products in the research I've done they seem to have a back and forth reputation among owners. Some love them, and some not so much. The reason I ask is that my interest was peaked by that new P-50 that is coming out.

I've been wanting a 5.7 platform for awhile and initially was looking at the Ruger. Any opinions and or comments are appreciated.

Thanks!
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Earl Cordova

Re: Opinions on Kel-Tec
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 05:13:47 pm »
    Kel-Tec makes some interesting guns, but I have seen enough of their duds that I would not trust them 100%.

curtmini14

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 05:30:56 am »
    show me a gun maker who has not had a few duds.the keltecs i have work just fine remember they make thousands of guns some bad ones will slip through.there cust service is great.

Ballistic Therapy

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 06:20:54 am »
    I would take a Ruger over a Kel-tec any day.
    As far as I am concerned , they are not even in the same class.

GTGallop

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 06:58:44 am »
    KelTec is an odd company.  Every gun they have looks like it was Frankenstein'd together out of spare parts and extra bits.  But they are innovative and keep costs down so their product is affordable and fun.  There is a niche for that.

As far as quality goes, I know of about 6 KelTecs in the wild (one I own).  5 of the 6 ran great out of the box.  Mine is a flawless tack driver.  The one that needed to go back to KelTec had accuracy and feeding problems.  But I also know of Marlins, Mossbergs, Rugers, Smith & Wessons, and Taurus guns that have gone back to the manufacturer for work.

If you wanted to argue that early on KelTec had issues - sure.
    Now?  They are as good as the rest out of the box and if it isn't, just like the rest they make good on it.  You will have a fully functional safe, accurate, fun gun from KelTec.

Ask yourself - if they were as bad as the rumor mill purports them to be, why are the shelves never stocked full of Keltecs?  Why are they so hard to find (even in good times?)?

ynotaz

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 07:50:22 am »

KelTec make guns that are just downright FUGLY. 

Other than that, I’ve owned one KelTec, a P11 that I threw in a vehicle and let it ride around with me for over 100K miles because it was so cheap that, if someone stole the vehicle or stole it from the vehicle I didn’t care.  Even with my total lack of concern for losing it, the trigger pull was so bad that it almost required a helper to pull it an make it go bang.  I shot it with a couple friends that I normally shoot a whole gaggle of different firearms with and they couldn't even find words to describe how crappy the trigger was.  As soon as I saw a Taurus G2C, it replaced that KelTec.

Now, the P50, following the KelTec tradition it’s Fugly (my opinion) but the big issue I see is that it has an integrally mounted P90 50 round mag. If Pedo-Joe gets his “high capacity magazine ban” or forces registry as an NFA item, how will this thing run with a 40 round block installed inside the 50 round mag?

You asked for opinion.  I hope you don’t mind getting what you asked for.
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.

It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

h8pvmnt

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 08:35:59 am »
    Keltec is an innovative company. The Founder is a forward thinking guy that comes up with designs that are not normal to most gun folks. Many of his designs have been used as a basis for very popular guns by other manufacturers. Keltec will never make a 1911 or an AR or probably even a traditional bolt action hunting rifle, instead they fill a niche where one didn't exist. The P32 and P11 were before there time and set the stage for the CCW wave that exists today. Things like the Ruger LCP, and the current crop of Tiny 9mm Hi-capacity guns have spawned from these concepts. Yes the P11 had a terrible trigger but at the time it was the only high capacity compact 9mm on the market. The LCP is basically a direct ripoff of the P-32 and P3AT. I have owned Keltec firearms for a long time including the P-11, P32, P3AT, PF9, RFB, Sub 2000 and the CP33 . The P-11 has a terrible trigger but it always goes bang and with practice can be shot acceptably, would i recommend it with the far better choices in the market no. The PF9 is much better, still would not be my go to if i could afford other options out there. The RFB has the best trigger on a bull pup i have ever shot, has a very versatile gas system and a novel operating system. The original concept of using unmodified metric FAL mags was awesome at its conception, at that time there was no other .308 mag that was as common or cheap other than G3 mags. Today FAL mags are almost unobtainable and make the RFB less desirable. The Sub 2000 was on the market way before the current glut of PCC's. The Sub 2000 is half the price or more of a Scorpion or most of the other PCC's on the market and its always been a rifle no brace needed. The Sub 2000 works wonderfully is as simple as a sten gun and fits in the space of a laptop computer for storage or carrying in your vehicle.  They have always made things i didn't know i wanted or needed. They are much smaller than almost any other American gun maker. The demand for there products has always out paced production capability. I doubt you will ever see a time when Keltec products are plentiful and everywhere. Buying a Keltec will not be a mistake, they make fun and interesting guns. IFfi could only have one gun it would not be a Keltec. But variety is the spice of life....

SupportThe2nd

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 08:45:51 am »
    Thank you to all, I appreciate the candor and the information.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Bayonet

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 11:43:59 am »
    I've never been a fan of Kel-Tec designs. GTGallop said it best - they look like they have been Frankenstein'd lol.
    « Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:55:11 am by Bayonet »

cnj

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 07:56:06 pm »
    I have 2 KelTec P-32 pistols. One I bought used.  The other was brand new.  Both have been flawless so far.

SupportThe2nd

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 10:02:42 am »
    If I decide on a 5.7 I'll likely stick with my first choice of the Ruger. Maybe in the future I'll own a Kel-Tec.

GTGallop

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 04:07:54 pm »
    I like the performance of the 5.7 but I don't like the Gucci-ness of it.  Yet.

If I ever got one, magazine availability would be a more significant driver than anything.  So right now that would probably be:
    Keltec
    Ruger
    FN

But if Glock gets in the mix? Hmmmmmmm....

Mr. Nobody

• #FJB
    • Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 06:43:34 pm »
    At the time of my posting today (saw it in an email ad from Grab a Gun)...

The Ruger 5.7 is in stock and @ $649.99, ain't a bad price.

https://grabagun.com/ruger-57-pistol-5-7x28mm-20-rounds-adjustable-fiber.html

Just thought I'd share it, in case you're ready to pull the trigger.

I've done numerous buys from grabagun.com. Great company. They ship to your local FFL.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
    ― Mark Twain

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."
    - George Carlin

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

RetroG

• Contributor
    « Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 01:19:40 pm »
    Mostly. Won’t ship to Scottsdale Gun Club.

JT

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 01:16:13 pm »
    I owned an early P11 I bought from a gunsmith. He charged a bit more but he went through his guns and they were worth it. The trigger was not spectacular but it was very decent. I put over 6k rounds of assorted 9mm, mostly commercial reloads, through it with one failure. A dud primer. I stupidly traded it for a new P9 which I never could keep running. Returned it and got another P11. While reliable it was not the same gun. I have had 3 Sub 2k's. I still have 1. All 3 were very reliable. I broke each of them in with 200 rounds of heavy for caliber and they never had a malfunction past the 2nd mag. Those are the ones I have experience with so I can not speak of any of their other models.
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

joeb1

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 02:31:09 pm »
    Having never owned any of their products in the research I've done they seem to have a back and forth reputation among owners. Some love them, and some not so much. The reason I ask is that my interest was peaked by that new P-50 that is coming out.

I've been wanting a 5.7 platform for awhile and initially was looking at the Ruger. Any opinions and or comments are appreciated.

Thanks!
    I tried the FN 5.7 & the Ruger 5.7. Bought the Ruger. It shot better than the FN, the trigger feels better & half the cost. Haven't  shot the Kel-Tek. Can't find 5.7 ammo.
    Go to a range and shoot the Ruger & the Kel-Tek.
    I have seen the Ruger on a few online stores for under $600.00.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 02:45:48 pm by joeb1 »

JT

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2021, 09:13:36 pm »
    My 1st Keltec was a P11 that I bought from a gunsmith. It cost more but he worked it over. The trigger was better than OK for the type and it ran flawlessly for over 6k rounds. Only malfunction was a dud primer. Stupidly I traded it for a PF9 that I could never get to run. Went back to a P11 but without the GS magic it was not the same gun. I had a P3AT that Ruger thought enough of to clone. Ran perfect but it was nasty to shoot. So was the Ruger LCP. I have a Sub 2K that runs perfectly. I had 2 others that also ran fine. Currently have a P32 and P17 which both run great. I have heard a lot of complaints on the PMR 30 and CMR 30 but 90% can be attributed to not loading the mags correctly. They are finicky with their mags. I would not mind having one of the 5.56x45 rifles. No interest in the 5.7. I am not afraid to buy Keltecs.
    I sold my Ruger PCC9 because it was over 2 lbs heavier than the Sub 2K. I still have the Sub 2K.
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

Jfri247

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 09:24:13 pm »
    Quality guns with great customer service.  Sub 2k is a REALLY fun one to shoot and good to train new shooters on. 

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #18 on: July 28, 2021, 04:08:54 am »
    have had quite a few keltecs over the years, carried some, atrocious triggers for sure, but always went bang, triggers can be overcome and learned, can't say as i[ve had any issues with any of their products, and i shoot a lot.
    Rj

Rubicon12

• Lurker
    « Reply #19 on: July 31, 2021, 09:58:18 am »
    Guess I just like knowing that what I pull out of a NIB works every time with glock, sig, ruger !

JumpmasterC85

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2021, 05:45:36 pm »
    I really like the SU-16, it’s a great shooter & truck gun. I saw the CP33 & had to get it as .22’s are my favorite guns to shoot. Sadly, I very seldom get through a full magazine without it jamming up…I found a few brands of ammo it likes, but with the current ammunition availability…a gun picky with what it shoots is not really a fun gun!

sparx

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2021, 08:29:58 am »
    Both my Kel tec P-32 and P3AT pistols were 100% reliable.  I don't think a Ruger LCP looks any better frankly.
    Sparx

surevaliance

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2024, 07:42:07 pm »
    show me a gun maker who has not had a few duds.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 07:46:16 pm by surevaliance »
    FPC member
    GOA member

"...average citizens only get what they want if wealthy Americans and business-oriented interest groups also want it; and that when a policy favored by the majority of the American public is implemented, it is usually because the economic elites did not oppose it.”

surevaliance

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2024, 07:44:41 pm »
    Over the years I had chances to try a few Kel-Tec guns:

- RDB17 - loved to shoot it, but didn’t like finicky field strip. Sold it.
    - PMR30 gen. 2 - great plinker, but ammo is too pricey for considering it a range toy. Still have it.
    - CMR30 - was fun to shoot, but too expensive to plink with. Sold it.
    - CP33 - my favorite plinker that never misses a range day. Dead-accurate and can-ready.
    - P17 - my latest Kel-Tec addition. Not as accurate as CP33, but fun to plink with. Always goes with me to the range. Also is can-ready.
    - SUB2000, gen. 2 - it’s accurate, reliable; kicks like a horse: leaves bruises on my chick and my shoulder every time I shoot it. Better get a red dot for it to avoid a chick weld. Could be a choice for SHTF for some, because it’s packable, and easy to clean, and uses Glock mags. I still have it. Can-ready.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 09:27:19 pm by surevaliance »
    FPC member
    GOA member

"...average citizens only get what they want if wealthy Americans and business-oriented interest groups also want it; and that when a policy favored by the majority of the American public is implemented, it is usually because the economic elites did not oppose it.”

surevaliance

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2024, 08:03:43 pm »
    No matter how much you’d love or hate Kel-Tec, the one thing they deserve a recognition for: their customer service is OUTSTANDING, and Lynne is a superstar there!
    « Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 08:40:05 pm by surevaliance »
    FPC member
    GOA member

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement