Username: Password:

Author Topic: Immigration in the US  (Read 293 times)

DClayton

Immigration in the US
« on: April 14, 2021, 03:32:21 pm »
Thought I would share my views on this hot topic since I'm currently having the pleasure of dealing with USCIS again.

A bit of background to my case. Applied overseas (Australia) where my wife (American citizen) and I (British citizen, Australian PR) were living at the time, for a partnership visa for here. We had been married for around 18 months.
Nothing was easy about applying with her there and not being in the US. Which is weird since one of the requirements is that you're living together. The system is designed for a person living in the US and then bringing their partner over.

Anyway.

The whole process from initial paperwork to receiving my passport back with a visa in it took exactly one year. Would have probably been a few months quicker but the US had a fairly lengthy shutdown. That part of the process cost roughly $1300. I had to have a full medical and a few jabs.

Arrived here mid July 2019. Because we had only been married for 18 months at the time of applying, I was issued a "conditional" green card. This means at the end of two years from the day of first arrival I must submit more paperwork proving our relationship is genuine and continuing. this comes with a nice $680 fee.

Now please understand, I'm not complaining about any of this process so far. As annoying as it was applying from outside the country, that is what it is.
Same for the cost of the visa. For the exact same type of visa for my wife to have stayed in Australia, it would have cost us around $12,000!

Here's where I have a problem.

There exists a type of visa to come here that's known as the "90 day fiancé" visa. There's even a reality tv show based on using it.
If we had met online, she could have shipped me over the next day, married me and then I have a green card. It boggles my mind that this exists.

Anyone want to guess at how long it will take for someone at DHS to open my packet, glance at the mountain of proof that we have a house, mortgage, pay tax, car, insurance, a new baby?  24 MONTHS
24 months to get the conditions removed and a new green card issued. The bigger issue is having to walk around with an expired green card for that long. Have to somehow renew my drivers licence too.
Hilariously, after 3 years from date of first entry, I can apply for citizenship. The current wait time for that is 6-8 months. Which means I could become a citizen before they remove the condition of marriage from my green card.

And then I read stories about the Biden government not wanting to call illegals, illegal. He wants to call them "migrants". Bullshit. I'm a migrant. I'm an immigrant. You get caught crossing the border? Your'e an illegal alien.

172,000+ encounters at the border in March this year. Up from 36,000+ in 2020. Are these people being turned around? No they're given hotel rooms, government support and turned free into the US. Oh but they get a court date to go to at a later date. Yeah right...
Part of my visa, I had to explicitly say I would not be claiming government benefits and that I can support myself.

The immigration system in this country has huge flaws. And they are flaws that don't exists elsewhere.

I was in Australia during their "turn the boats away' campaign. If you arrived by boat from Indonesia, you would never set foot on the mainland and never be granted asylum. Know what? It worked. People smugglers stopped filling tiny leaking boats full of families and hundreds of lives were saved.

Anyway rant over. It just gets my blood boiling that lefties want to call me the same thing as someone that comes here illegally. And also that my waiting time for things to get done is so insane due to inept policy makers clogging the system with hundreds of thousands of people that should not even be in the country.

I am lucky to be here in America and I cannot wait to become a Citizen. Immigrants good - Illegal immigrants bad.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

cool arrow

Re: Immigration in the US
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 09:17:15 pm »

And then I read stories about the Biden government not wanting to call illegals, illegal. He wants to call them "migrants". Bullshit. I'm a migrant. I'm an immigrant. You get caught crossing the border? Your'e an illegal alien.

Anyway rant over. It just gets my blood boiling that lefties want to call me the same thing as someone that comes here illegally. And also that my waiting time for things to get done is so insane due to inept policy makers clogging the system with hundreds of thousands of people that should not even be in the country.

I am lucky to be here in America and I cannot wait to become a Citizen. Immigrants good - Illegal immigrants bad.

wow, you are an immigration success story.

thank you for playing by the rules, and WELCOME  :thumbup

SupportThe2nd

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 08:56:02 am »
    Not surprised at all how stupid our country is in helping people that want to "legally" be here. I have a different story and one that will solidify what you're saying as well.

We have a good friend of ours that moved to Joao Pessoa Brazil for a temporary business venture that is going to take a couple of years. He had to provide the following before they would allow him to be a "resident", and this was with him actually being in contact with Brazil's President since this was a huge farming project.

1. Two separate background checks both state and federal in the USA before leaving.
    2. Proof of income and the source of income to show it was legal monies. Also to prevent using their social services and being a drain on them.
    3. Agreeing that if he was to remain in the country past the four year mark that he would be proficient in the language.

Too bad we don't do the same.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 12:00:34 pm »
    There is a false dichotomy being sold to the American People - That you either immigrate here illegally or you can't come at all.  Sure those are two opposing ends on the spectrum but the US allows TON'S of people in legally each year - some visiting and some looking for citizenship.

In my humble pea-brained mind there is a 6 step process to fixing this.
    1. Build the wall - and just to prove we aren't racist, Canada gets one too.
    2. Put a big ole "Welcome To America" gate at every single city that has a border crossing.
    3. Anyone that's not a criminal can walk across that threshold and enter America
    4. Set up a Migrant Worker / Temp Worker Visa to allow people to come across and seek legal work.
    5. Taxes - everyone pays them on wages earned here (everyone - but that is a separate topic).
    6. Entitlements - GONE! No Government Handouts!  No one comes here on a single tax payers dime.  No food stamps.  No housing assistance.  Nothing.  If you need more than what you are earning, private citizens can sponsor you either directly or through a charity that collects donations from private citizens who wish to offset the expense of immigration for immigrants.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

kptaylor

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 02:52:21 pm »
    Just to clarify, a "90-day fiancĂ©" visa is not just issued the next day. My wife and I went through the process and it's very similar to your visa application if not identical. (K1 versus K3 visa.) Same costs, same mountain of info to prove there's a real relationship, etc. The K1 just requires you to marry before the 90 days is up or go back home if things don't work out. The K3 you're already married.  Obviously much easier if you really do have a relationship instead of ordering up a mail-order bride... You then have to do the 2 yr green card, then the ten year and then the citizenship process. It does cost a bunch of money and take a lot of time to figure out the paperwork and the logic is stupid. Get K1 visa, come to US, get 2 yr green card, then have to get 10 yr green card when the 2 yr card expires because you can't become a citizen til you've been here yrs (if you're married), then at 3 yrs pay for the citizenship process.

Mr. Nobody

• Trigger warning: I'm not PC.
    • Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 07:21:09 pm »
    Thank you for doing it the right way firstly.

The fees are honestly ridiculous and just a shake down. Most government taxes are. I don't believe in our tax system as it's set up. Truly, it is the little people who carry the tax system in this country and we often don't get a fair shake. Changes need to be made, and crazy spending reigned in, but of course, good luck with that until DC truly gets fumigated and gets rid of the roaches in both parties.

Secondly, our country is ran by some of the biggest buffoons you'll find anywhere in the world.

You have spineless RepubliCANTs that don't do anything, talk a lot of crap, and shake their fist at the sky when it's election time. Otherwise they suck. That's why they're "RINOs" (Republicans in Name Only).

Then you have the demoRATS (the hated Karens' of the USA). The wannabe dictators, masquerading as supposed do-gooders who are actively and have been trying to wreck this country since their founding and know absolutely no end to their lust for power. They're useless, shrill, and I believe actual monkeys would make better decisions for this country.

Basically, America (as an American) has become one of the dumbest countries guided by emotions on SO MANY ISSUES, and especially the feel sorry for these illegal invaders via media coverage garbage pushing a narrative... No one is putting a stop to it in DC. The ones that try are constantly attacked by the left and the "right", and shouted down or they try to "cancel" you now.

I will tell you right now, what happens in other countries doesn't concern me. What concerns me is when it washes up on our shores and borders. The violence, the drugs, the rapes, the murders, and the losers who have no skill set at all. We don't need these problems here.

I believe America has become a racket for politicians and the rich to take advantage of whatever they can. Many of them want their cheap nannies and cheap labor for their companies (think of the Koch brothers for YEARS pushing for immigration BS). Newly founded ideas of the dimwits is apparently flooding the system with people they want to "give amnesty to" to have a PERMANENT BASE OF FREELOADING VOTERS.

I think coming to this country should also require a basic IQ test. I'm sorry, if you're only as smart as a turnip and you have no skills, we don't need you here. If all you can do is pick fruit, go home. We can replace you with Americans to do that, for a fair wage... or hell, even robots who would probably do a better job anyways (anyone seen the QC on produce that comes to this state? Jesus!)

GT is 100% right (but that's because he's mean and too honest, I kid, I kid) and I've complained about this for years. No handouts to illegals. Frankly half or more of welfare needs to be cut in the US. If you have no job and don't contribute ANYTHING, then you don't deserve help. If we didn't make it so easy to take advantage of the system, half of them wouldn't be here (or more.)

We also need to END ALL FOREIGN AID, but that's a seperate issue, partly. We can't even take care of our own. It gets us nowhere. I'd rather have streets paved with gold and waste money that way instead of giving it to 3rd world shitholes that never change.

We need more good, normal, moral people here from countries that ARE NOT HOSTILE TO US, and that ARE NOT FREELOADERS. Since you seem to fit that, obviously, we are happy to have you here.

I'll dare say it and I don't care, it'd also be nice to priortize English speaking countries or at least fluent English speakers for immigration as well. Tired of the Press 1 for English crap. It's America. Assimilate how all of our familes did when they came over generations and generations ago.

In ending, I guess you should have just hoofed it through Mexico and said you need asylum (I'm kidding).
    There is nothing more deceptive then an obvious fact. - Sherlock Holmes

Memento Mori

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement