Username: Password:

Author Topic: I want to get into reloading  (Read 552 times)

Nytoaz1

• Lurker
I want to get into reloading
« on: April 20, 2021, 08:38:53 pm »
I am looking for the pro and cons for the

Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press Deluxe Kit or Lee 4 Hole Turret Press with Auto Index Value Kit
Other that the classic being steel and the value being aluminum I cant tell a difference.
I am not going to do a large volume so does the metal make that much of a difference
Big price difference

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: I want to get into reloading
    « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 11:18:56 pm »
    Steel is always more durable and generally flexes less under the same amount of pressure.  I have used Lee equipment in the past and currently own one Lee press.  Some turn their nose up at the Lee equipment and say its "cheap" or "disposable" but I have found that used within its limitations it works fine.  Everyone cuts corners to produce their product at a lower price so you pays your money and you takes your chances whatever you buy. 

My question to you is this.  You say you "want to get into reloading" so I assume you are not particularly familiar with the whole operation yet but you ask about a turret press which has never been recommended as the place to start for beginners.  Reasons vary but generally speaking it boils down to asking a novice to be cognizant of and successfully manage too many variables at the learning stage.  Unless you have a mentor or a coach to help you or are already somewhat familiar with reloading from past experience a single stage press will be much easier to master. 

It allows you to understand what happens at each stage of the process, measure your results and reduce the complexity of the operation until you are completely comfortable with your ability to reload ammunition safely and effectively.  Yes, it slows down the process of reloading but it advances your understanding of what happens when you pull the handle on the press better than any other design.

Reducing variables allows you to learn the finer points of producing loaded rounds without chasing down more than one problem at a time.  You can do all that with a turret press but setting up multiple stations gives you the opportunity to overlook potential problems and complicates your record keeping - and trust me on this, you definitely want to keep a logbook of what you did, when you did it, how you did it and how it turned out.

There is a reason pilots learn how to fly in utterly reliable, low powered, single engine aircraft and the same principle applies here.
    « Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:21:59 pm by coelacanth »
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

eugenesan

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 07:28:35 am »
    I agree with previous poster and believe Lee turret presses are perfect for beginners.

Also, people mistakenly assume recent Lee presses made from aluminum. They are not. The only aluminum part is the turret, the rest is steel or ferrous alloys. Appearance can be misleading.

Also, I would consider Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro.
    For a beginner, It can be used as an upsidedown turret press and later as a progressive.
    But, you should know that progressive presses (regardless of how they are used) bring a lot of complications especially if the press is from a budget segment.

Without budget and availability considerations, I would start with Lee Value Turret Press and later would acquire fancy progressive press from Hornady or Dillon.
    « Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 07:34:27 am by eugenesan »

Hi Standard

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 07:46:43 am »
    What Coelacanth said is spot on!  :thumbup

I started out with a single stage and I still load on one. I started out with an RCBS Jr Press and I currently have a Rockchucker. I also have a Lee Turret Press. I have to say that while I like it, it does have a very small amount of  slop in it. Not enough to make much of a difference when making most handgun ammunition. The slop comes in the fit between the aluminum turret and the steel ring holding the turret. It’s not a lot. But I would not load rifle ammunition on it. I also have a Lee Breech Lock made from cast aluminum. I use it mostly for mundane chores like swaging primer pockets and swaging cast boolits.

I would recommend a single stage “O” shaped press to start with. Like the Lee single stage or the RCBS Rockchucker, etc. There are quite a few on the market from all the different manufacturers. They are all steel, strong and can take a lot of use and abuse. You can load anything with it. The Lee Breech Lock that I mentioned above is “C” shaped and does not have the strength nor the durability IMHO that the all steel “O” shaped presses have. After loading on a single stage for so many years I went to the Lee Turret Press because I can easily load 200-300 and maybe more rounds an hour with it. But again I only load handgun ammo on it. There is too much slop for my taste to load precision rifle ammo with it.

patkelly4370

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 09:39:18 am »
    My first and current press is a Lee turret.
    Able to start out single stage. Later can go progressiveish.
    When things are good I can do 200 rounds an hour.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 02:30:35 pm »
    Go over to "Dillon Precision" and get great information and any type of loader you want.

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 10:53:06 am »
    I used my Dillon 550b during the 1990's as a team press, and repeatedly reminded the team members that if they had to use a lot of force, they were doing it wrong. Still, they managed break parts, usually in the priming system. I like the interchangeable tool head. One sets up the dies once, then only messes with them as time changes case dimension/seating requirements. I like this enough to have separate tool heads and die sets, even for duplicate chamberings in different rifles.

The one thing I dislike (among other folks) about them is the standard powder measure. The system needs one, the cost is suitable, and it gets the job done. But there are others and I prefer the RCBS Chargemaster Lite. Probably not the absolute best, it does everything I ask of it and doesn't slow me down. The price was right, mostly.

When used correctly; it should not matter what material the press is made from, because he force needed to distort/break them should never be present.

I started with the Dillon RL550b, secondhand. IMHO, it's the perfect first press. I believe in the "Buy once, cry once" principle. Yes, it's a big bite; but you'll never need to take a bigger one, and you'll never be tempted to replace it at a far greater combined cost. The Dillon is a great press, well worth the cost, and certainly good enough for the likes of me. Mine's lasted me for three decades, another guy for who knows how long, and the team for about 6 of those years too. I bought that setup in the early 1990's for $250, and I got a lot of mileage out of that investment.

Although I've seen some dandy (and pricey...) mods available for them; the press works fine just as delivered,.

If you break one, the odds strongly favor your having used it wrong.

Greg
    « Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 11:53:10 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

• Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 12:59:48 pm »
    Keep in mind that Dillon guarantees everything for ever. 

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 03:58:15 pm »
    Yup.  Good stuff.  I still have my old RL 450 and it works fine.   :coffee
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

hprm1a

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 08:02:13 am »
    I am looking for the pro and cons for the

Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press Deluxe Kit or Lee 4 Hole Turret Press with Auto Index Value Kit
    Other that the classic being steel and the value being aluminum I cant tell a difference.
    I am not going to do a large volume so does the metal make that much of a difference
    Big price difference

Yes it is absolutely worth it to reload.

Lee stuff works fine a friend made thousands of 223 and 45acp using their cheap starter kit. I prefer RCBS. Better built and easier to deal with warranty wise. For example I have their priming setup that has a long tube for the primers and I screwed up the tube. They sent me a couple new ones. Another time my rcbs dies were making a ring mark on match bullets and I sent it in - they modified the die so that it seats them perfectly w/o any marks.

Also my rcbs presses and uniflows were inherited from relatives so they are old and still work perfectly.

Intel6

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 07:25:31 am »
    Keep in mind that Dillon guarantees everything for ever.

Mostly,  Electronics and their big commercial grade machine don't have a lifetime warranty.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement