Username: Password:

Author Topic: Drawing your pistol against a dog?  (Read 739 times)

hprm1a

Drawing your pistol against a dog?
« on: April 23, 2021, 11:18:22 am »
I live in a tight suburban place and one of my neighbors likes to point his pistol at peoples' dogs. He did it to my dog as well but I told him to put it away and he did. Is this legal? I can understand if a dog is attacking someone but sitting and not even barking doesn't seem like much of a threat.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

• Contributor
    Re: Drawing your pistol against a dog?
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 12:54:46 pm »
    Some of my neighbors leave a lot to be desired also.  I don't know what we can do?

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 01:00:00 pm »
    If the dog is  running around uncontrolled there likely isn't much that can be done about it.

It the dog is on a leash and in close proximity to people then the argument can be made that this neighbor is pointing a firearm in the direction of a person, and, as such, is making a threat of violence. The challenge will be proving intent.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

CMore

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 01:04:51 pm »
    Sounds like a violation of brandishing with a firearm if there is no real or perceived threat from the dog.  It might be hard to prove and may become a he said she said thing. Get video then talk (NICE) with him again.. Maybe he will understand then.

However, if a dog is being aggressive towards or biting someone then it most likely would be legitimate.

My neighbors dog bit me once and when I informed him he just laughed and blew me off..  A few days later it came into my yard in attack mode again so, I shot it then laid it on his door step.  When the sheriff came out he told him he should have kept it out of my yard since it was proven to be an aggressive dog.

K1CJM

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 03:52:57 pm »
    What is the demeanor and behavior of the dog in question?
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 04:04:21 pm »
    I've dealt with dogs - mine, other peoples' and strays - for years and never felt the need to draw a sidearm even when facing an aggressive dog.  Sounds to me like a neighbor with possible behavioral problems and probably not nearly enough knowledge of the law(s) regarding firearms and their lawful use.  I like the idea of the video and the friendly chat. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

hprm1a

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 04:50:21 pm »
    What is the demeanor and behavior of the dog in question?

Just dogs being dogs. Like I was washing my car and he walked around the side of it, saw my dog and pointed his gun at her.

Talking to him is tough because he just keeps walking away and doesn't respond. If you walk towards him on the sidewalk he crosses the street and puts a hand over the side of his head. He might say hi but that is all.

It's a real shame because everyone else in the neighborhood is really nice and laid back.

I guess I'm just going to have to record the prick whenever he is around. My house has security cameras on the outside but they aren't hooked up so that's project number 2.

Also this guy is easily 70-75 years old so maybe dementia is playing a part.

Dullahan

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 08:09:00 pm »
    I don't know where you live, city, suburb or rural, but that absolutely sounds like brandishing to me. Did I read correctly he came onto your land uninvited and pointed the gun? Not ok. My dog died years ago but if someone had pointed a gun at him they'd have been facing the muzzle of my sidearm.
    "This gun is Liberty. Hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery." - Toussaint L'Ouverture

hprm1a

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 08:32:20 pm »
    Sidewalk in front of my house and then my driveway. The driveway is maybe 20ft long so the bumper of my truck is all the way to the sidewalk. He just walked up, started unbuttoning his shirt and pulled out a 1911 and racked it while standing maybe 5-6ft from me. My dog was sitting on the driveway and the dumb dog walked up to him while he was cocking his gun so I guess he could claim it was threatening him. Sigh I have to live here for a year until my house is built on 4 acres outside town and I can't pull a trailer out there (they don't allow trailers until the house is built) so I gotta live here in suburbia :(

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 09:04:25 pm »
    That is anti-social and borderline psychotic behavior.  Throw in the age and potential for dementia like you mentioned and you have a train that could go of the rails at any minute - or never...  If it's never, then big deal so what, but if he does come off the rails then it's a F-ing problem.

I'd still call the police but as a "welfare check" because he initiates the anti-social behavior and then withdraws.  Sometimes expressing concern for his well-being will get you further than trying to establish probable cause and reasonable suspicion.

GOOD LUCK with this one!
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

zpglass

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 10:22:37 pm »
    You should take his gun and bitch slap him with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marx-ism's

• Sr. Contributor
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 11:52:51 pm »
    That is anti-social and borderline psychotic behavior.  Throw in the age and potential for dementia like you mentioned and you have a train that could go of the rails at any minute - or never...  If it's never, then big deal so what, but if he does come off the rails then it's a F-ing problem.

I'd still call the police but as a "welfare check" because he initiates the anti-social behavior and then withdraws.  Sometimes expressing concern for his well-being will get you further than trying to establish probable cause and reasonable suspicion.

GOOD LUCK with this one!

Given the world we currently live in, I suspect it'll be difficult as hell to get a judge to do shit about this. Let's face it, activist judges are letting people walk for much more nefarious behavior.
    If the 1911 were being pointed in the direction of a human, I suspect that it would be "easier" to get a judge and jury to do something about it.

Personally I kind of agree with the OP's plan to set up the security cameras.  That way, if the old dude ever walks back onto the driveway with 1911 in hand, there'll be recorded video evidence to back up any claim of violent or aggressive behavior. Otherwise it becomes a messy situation of two people with conflicting stories.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

RetroG

• Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 12:29:02 am »
    Your description of his behavior sounds like some sort of mental issue.  Record his behavior, and once you have it, contact the authorities.  He may be harmless, but I wouldn’t bet your dog’s life, your life or someone else’s life that he is harmless.

Earl Cordova

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2021, 06:00:41 am »
    .....  It's a real shame because everyone else in the neighborhood is really nice and laid back ......

It seems like there is always one jack ass in every neighborhood.
    The jerk in our neighborhood moved out after 10 years and then an even bigger jerk moved in to replace him.

NavCop

• AZCDL Member
    « Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 06:16:03 am »
    It would be a good idea to get some documentation on this behavior - this guy's cheese is sliding of his burger and he's likely to make headlines some day.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #15 on: April 24, 2021, 06:52:12 am »
    Pulling a handgun like that is illegal.
    Record it next time and call the police
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life... -Winston Churchill

Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

hprm1a

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 07:51:38 am »
    Thanks guys I'm off to get some security cameras.

Mr. Nobody

• Trigger warning: I'm not PC.
    • Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: April 24, 2021, 07:03:37 pm »
    Depends... How much do you like your dog? Wait too long and this moron might shoot your dog.

I can tell you, regardless of someone's age, I don't take shit from anyone in my neighborhood. I am not confrontational, and my family sticks to ourselves. We just want peace, quiet, and safety. I call the cops when needed, to further avoid confrontation.

There is no legal justification (from the sounds of it) for him to be doing this. In other words, no need for it to be done. Which makes it, ILLEGAL. You don't need "hard evidence". People get charged on far less. I'm sure they can piece together he has a gun, you've seen it, as presumably neighbors have too.

Gun crimes are taken seriously when the police are called out.

If he is also pulling a gun, in the presence of people, you can certainly say you felt threatened by his actions, the safety of your pet, your family, your self, neighbors, etc.

I never take a pansy approach to problems where I'm worried about what my neighbors think. We're all adults. We know better. They got an issue, they can pound sand.

I am not afraid of my neighbors. I am more concerned about my safety, my family's safety, and the general well being of my neighborhood. Just last weekend, I called the cops on an ass hat family throwing a HUGE PARTY and music literally rattling my windows and there house was how many away.

It took calling them out 3 seperate times, throughout the evening and all the way to 11 pm. Last call, the cop called and said if you're willing to press charges, I can really do something about it. I told him, if I had to call them out again, I would but that I wanted the party ended, IMMEDIATELY. He told them on the 3rd time, party is over and to disperse. Which the ghetto ass hats did, like cockroaches they were. There was 15+ cars at this house and down my street.

Point being, you're entitled to live in peace and safety. No idiot should take that from you, and you should not take their crap, regardless if they're an old moron.
    There is nothing more deceptive then an obvious fact. - Sherlock Holmes

Memento Mori

Ryan

• Well Done Is Better Then Well Said
    « Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 07:40:49 pm »
    guy just sounds like an asshole who shouldn't be carrying a gun in public  :hmm
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

Mr. Nobody

• Trigger warning: I'm not PC.
    • Contributor
    « Reply #19 on: April 25, 2021, 02:00:08 pm »
    guy just sounds like an asshole who shouldn't be carrying a gun in public  :hmm

:thumbup Exactly.
    There is nothing more deceptive then an obvious fact. - Sherlock Holmes

Memento Mori

JT

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 08:06:52 am »
    The police usually take firearms matters seriously. Get the video and get the police. When we 1st moved to our present location there was an old guy (I now resemble) that sat on his front porch with a shotgun. He would stand up and point it at anyone walking on the street. I got us out of the line of fire and called the police. 1 call to the police and it stopped. The officer took the shotgun and I think the family put him in a nursing home so no charges were filed.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement