Username: Password:

Author Topic: Home Depot Air Compressor repair  (Read 273 times)

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
  • Why a duck?
Home Depot Air Compressor repair
« on: April 23, 2021, 01:29:35 pm »
Does anyone know of a service in the Phoenix area that does repairs on small portable consumer grade air compressors (Husky)?

I have an old (10 years old) 20 gal Husky Air Compressor in my back yard that has started leaking air from the regulator (manifold). If I fill the 20 gal tank with air to rated capacity (140 psi), the tank is empty again within an hour of filling it. I've verified that the air leak is coming from around the regulator the old fashioned way using soapy water on the fittings.

I checked online and Amazon sells a $20 replacement manifold and regulator that looks similar to the one on the unit. While I'm willing to experiment and try to replace the manifold myself, some of the reviews on the "made in Chyna" manifold being made of cheap (weak) pot metal have me concerned. Given that the compressor sits on my back patio I do not want to take the risk of the pot metal giving way in a catastrophic way.

If there is a reasonably priced repair service I figure it would be worth a few bucks more to pay them to replace it, hopefully with a higher quality replacement manifold.

If it comes down to it I'll replace the old compressor, and then drop off the old compressor at the dump (not sure if Goodwill will take an air compressor of this size). As much as I don't want to spend the $$$ on a new air compressor, I'd rather keep my house, my family, and my dogs safe.
"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: Home Depot Air Compressor repair
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 04:11:58 pm »
    Even a 20 gallon tank at 140 psi isn't what I'd consider hazardous to structures and pets.  If the tank is still in good shape with no visible rust or cracks using the soapy water test its probably good to go.  The regulator won't let go like a bomb even if it fails.  As for compressor repair shops you might want to check with people who routinely use them.  Dive shops, tire shops etc. ought to be able to give you a line on somebody who could at least take a look at your unit.   :hmm
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

• Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 04:53:09 pm »
    I assume you are talking about the regulator that cuts off the motor not an air pressure regulator for line pressure.  Sounds like the check value feeding to the regulator needs replaced.  Tank pressure of 140 pounds is not necessary.  I suggest 120.

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 08:20:29 pm »
    140 psi is where the motor automatically cuts off. I don't believe there is a way to adjust that upper limit on this air compressor.

And yes I'm talking about the regulator that regulates the amount of pressure being made available to the brass coupler.

I took a chance and ordered the manifold assembly from Amazon.  I'm going to try to fix it myself. First thing Saturday morning I'll try to remove the existing regulator from the manifold.  From watching Youtube video's it looks like there is a large o-ring on the back of the regulator mechanism.  I figure I'll try to service that o-ring in the same way that I used to service tank valve o-rings on scuba cylinders.  Will it make a difference?  I haven't a clue but I figure it's worth 30 minutes of my time.  Worst case, if it doesn't work, I'll remove the existing manifold from the air compressor and replace it with the one I purchased from Amazon.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement