Username: Password:

Author Topic: Divorcing Big Tech - Cell Phones  (Read 307 times)

GTGallop

• N5MKH
  • Administrator
    • QRZ - N5MKH
Divorcing Big Tech - Cell Phones
« on: April 28, 2021, 04:10:56 pm »
I'm going to be up for a new Cell Phone in the next year.
My iPhone is two years old and already bounced off the roof of my truck doing 75mph around the 101 - yeah I basically Grand-Theft-Auto'd my phone and it lived to tell the tale.  Pelican Case was sacrificed - rest in peace.

I've been a big Apple proponent because they are "better" about security than Android or Windows.  But better is relevant....   :-\

Looking to go with a Google Pixel running Graphene OS - the OS that is completely "off grid" from the big tech companies.

Has any one used Graphene?  Familiar with it?  Is it as good as they say it is?
The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

870policemag

• Sr. Contributor
    Re: Divorcing Big Tech - Cell Phones
    « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 05:14:20 pm »
    I've never heard of Graphene until now but I'm also looking to uprgade my phone and I'm tired of turning permissions on and off. I'm hoping to hear some good reviews.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

www.mesapawn.net

Dullahan

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 06:13:54 pm »
    How would a Google phone be off the grid from big tech though? Google is the worst offender of them all.
    "This gun is Liberty. Hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery." - Toussaint L'Ouverture

qkarl

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 06:28:16 pm »
    I use LineageOS, and is hard to find something equivalent to the convenience that Google map offers when traveling. That's about the only thing I miss from Google's dragnet. If you search for Rob Braxman on odysee or youtube, he has some in depth discussions on de-googled phones and other privacy topics.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Mr. Nobody

• Trigger warning: I'm not PC.
    • Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 10:15:35 pm »
    Not familiar with it but good on getting away from the Big Tech Oligarchy.

Cut them out any way you can is my recommendation. Especially with lame social media...

Good luck on the search and do update on how it goes if and when you upgrade!

Also, safety and security... get an actual virus/Spyware program if you want.

Apple is overpriced and overrated.

I'm not a huge tech guy but the android platform I've read is also more user customizable.
    There is nothing more deceptive then an obvious fact. - Sherlock Holmes

Memento Mori

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 05:48:23 am »
    How would a Google phone be off the grid from big tech though? Google is the worst offender of them all.

The Android OS is open source - Google gave it away for free to the development community, but also maintains and updates it for phones.  When a new phone comes out they write an Android OS specifically for that model of phone.  The OS is sleek and lean and fast.  But as your phone ages, Google doesn't want to maintain 600 different versions of Android, so they begin to aggregate similar phones OS'.  Eventually by the time your phone is 3 years old that OS is meant for hundreds of phones, which is why it gets bloated and slow.  It's because of all of the extra code that has to be there to support other devices too.

BUT!  Because Android is Open Source, you are free to craft your own Android OS the way people make their own he brew beer or reload their own ammo.  Most of the serious developers just take the generic Android and then delete the unnecessary lines of code that support other phones.

That is where Graphene is different.  It is only written for the Google Pixel line of phones and only Pixel 3 and Pixel 4.  I have heard it will work on Pixel 2a and I think Pixel 5 is out but not sure if there is a Graphene for it.  Since it is specific to one phone the developer also culled out all of the code that "called back home to the mother ship" or otherwise spied on your privacy.  People (who know more than I) are free to audit the code at any time to ensure that the OS is on the up-and-up.  There are even apps you can get that let you  audit two hones using camera and bar codes.  My assumption is that the OS code is turned into a hash and the values of that hash are then displayed as a QR code.  If Phone A displays a bar code and Phone B takes a picture of that bar code then it can compare the OS in Phone A with the OS in Phone B.

But lets talk about apps....
    Many apps rely on Google services to be running in the background.  Without Google Services running on a Graphene phone, these apps will not work at all, will lose some features, or will be glitchy.  Further more you CAN install Google Maps, YouTube, G-Mail, or any of the other Google Apps on a Graphene phone, but that just defeats the purpose.  Those Apps start collecting data and calling back to Google right away.

Most of this is OK because all I really use the phone for is:
    E-Mail with Proton Mail and Yahoo through a Generic E-Mail Client
    Text
    Phone Calls
    Check the weather forecast
    Web surfing just to find quick information
    Listen to music
    And the big one - Navigation / Maps

I need to ensure that there is an app that will run on it for navigation.  I refuse to use Google Maps and Apple Maps won't be an option either.  Also, I run GaiaGPS in the back country.  I'd like the Gaia App to run on it.  That would be a deal breaker for me.

The other big one is the music.  I can probably get around that if I have to.  Not sure what Spotify harvests about me or from my phone.  If it is just generic info like iPhone model and OS release number and the listening preferences I give it, then that is fine.  But if it is looking at contacts and location data, then that's going to be a no go.  Probably a general no-go on any phone.

OH!  And I need it to work with the dashboard on my truck.  If it doesn't mesh with that, we are done.  Forgot about that one.

So that's all I really know - or at least what I think I might maybe know.  I'm still early in investigating it.
    « Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:06:29 am by GTGallop »
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

pcp326

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 07:16:36 am »
    GT: good information. Thanks

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement