Username: Password:

Author Topic: First shotgun, i know this is asked 20 times a week, but there is a twist here !  (Read 5439 times)

kasbing726

Hey,

so as subject mentions, i do realize that question is asked a ton in here and i read some, but as promised, here is a twist.
I know i want a pump action, 18.5 barrel, for which, based on my research are 2 options, Remington 870 or Mossberg 590A1, which both are unobtainium right now.
Anybody has a JTS XJ12 ? or Copolla PA12? Asking about those 2 since i can see them in store now. Both are around $300.
Are those reliable? Good value for the $$$? Anything else u may recommend that would be obtainable?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Casswick

Just remember, the side of the tube with a hole points away from you.  :thumbup

Look on the Gundeals reddit page. I saw the 590A1 retro package listed on sale for around 700. Pricey, yes. Cool, hell yes. They have a good shotgun deal every week it seems.

Otherwise, it's kinda hard to screw up a pump action shotgun. Sorry I can't give any firsthand knowledge on those specific models.
    « Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 11:34:46 pm by Casswick »
    "...the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging and kicking them into obedience." —Aldous Huxley to George Orwell

GTGallop

Shotguns...

MMMM - Love me some shotguns.
    A shotgun is like chocolate milk to me.  Sweet, smooth, creamy and good.

Like Casswick said, it's hard to screw up a pump action shotgun.  For that matter it is hard to screw up a shotgun.  Where most manufacturers do screw up is in the auto loader category.

But any shotgun where you manually push a round into the chamber either by hand in a break action, or by way of mechanics like a lever action or pump action are usually pretty simple and reliable.  That's because the magic is contained in the shotgun shell itself, and that's what gives shotguns the wide variety of work they can perform from giant slug that would be about a 70 caliber boolet to ultra fine #9 bird shot that is pretty close to powdered lead.  Hot loads and light loads, you name it.

Yes the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are the two best selling pumps of all time, and each has a following of Fan-Girls that will swear they are night and day different (there are differences), neither one is better.  My 18.5 is a Winchester Defender 1300 with a rotary bolt that works a lot like an AR bolt.  I actually like it better than my 870.  Is it better, though? No - not really.  It's preference.

If you are looking for an "off brand" shotty, there are a lot of solid shotguns coming out of Turkey.  They all do the same thing - load, rack, bang.  Since you are looking in the 18.5 inch barrel range, let me ask - is this primarily a home defense firearm?  I assume yes.  Then let me ask this - if two guys kicked in your door at 3:00 AM and you could push a button that magically made them go away but it bit your bank account for $300, would you push that button?  I sure would.

Looking at the economics of a $300 shotgun (in an overly inflated market still), lets assume you buy it and care for it.  It will probably be worth $100 to $150 later when good times return.  That represents a $200 to $150 loss in a worst case scenario - Buy high and sell low.  I guaran-damn-tee you, that you will get $200 worth of smiles shooting this thing and ripping giant holes in paper or blowing up watermelons and pumpkins.

So take the plunge.  I've not heard of any bad pump guns coming out in the last 20 years.  Just look for the warranty - every manufacturer makes a stinky weapon that makes it past QC from time to time.  Even a Beretta could be the one that got away.  As long as they have a good warranty you are good to go.  And I believe that Davidson's Gallery of Guns still offers a lifetime warranty with their guns.  They may charge a little more but it's worth it if you are a little skeptical.  If the have a 90 day warranty - meh - keep looking.

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=111380&zipcode=85086

SupportThe2nd

Recently got an email from Tombstone Tactical. They seemed to have a pretty good inventory of various model shotguns in stock. I've used them before and they have been great. They'll send your purchase to your choice of FFL and they do so quickly and efficiently.

https://tombstonetactical.com/product-category/pump-action

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 08:21:33 am by SupportThe2nd »
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

870policemag

• Administrator
    +1 on r/gundeals

Check Gunbroker too. I've seen many 870Ps sell for around $500-700 and those shotguns are built like tanks. I'm in the process polishing up a cheaper 870 express magnum and will likely send it to Vang Comp for a barrel chop while waiting on my form 1.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

kasbing726

Thanks a lot for good replies, yea i think ill just take a plunge for $300, it makes sense and low risk especially for first one. And yes, im thinking home defense and of course range fun. Those 2 models i mentioned they are in stock close to me at Bear Arms and Ammo-az, so ill most likely pick them up locally. Toombstone, i actually never been there, i know its somewhere close by.
    Quick side note, 00 buck is more for defensive situations from what i read and i know i can shoot 7.5 at indoor range, any other recommendations for defensive or range type ammo i should be looking at ? Most likely wont go hunting with it, maybe occasional clay shooting, never done that yet, but looking forward to trying that, seems like a hell lot of fun  ;-D

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Good advice here so far.  I guess the only caveat I would add to the above is a pump gun - shotgun or rifle, rim fire,  center fire or shot shell - is prone to short stroking.  This can happen for several reasons.  Usually it is operator error but it can be made worse by improper maintenance or ammo that is out of spec. 

If you do not operate the pump action with AUTHORITY you can jam your gun until you manually clear the action.  No big deal on the range - embarrassing, perhaps, but otherwise no harm done.  In a life threatening situation it is something you really should avoid.   :yes

Standing on the firing line at the range or out bird hunting in the field it is easy to practice good form but in the cramped confines of hallway a closet or a vehicle it may not be so simple.  You must understand the operation of your pump gun intimately.  How it works when you are standing, kneeling, sitting, running - whatever.  How it works when fired and pumped in the normal firing position, vertical, inverted, on either side or upside down.  The firing of the round only unlocks the action in a pump and it is then up to you to provide the energy and the motion necessary to complete the ejection and reloading cycle. 

I like pump shotguns and own more than one.  They are economical workhorses for millions of shooters but if you are going to use one for self defense you can't just bring it home, run a box of cheap bird shot through it and call it good to go.   Train with it using realistic scenarios and using the ammunition you would use if your ass was on the line.  Learn to load, unload, reload and clear jams until it becomes second nature to you.  Become as good with that pump gun as your worst nightmare would require you to be to survive it. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

kptaylor

#4 Buck is a good option for home defense.

JT

My local Walmart just restocked their gun cabinet and target loads were showing up.. Check out pawn shops too.
    I agree with #4 buck if you can find some. Buy a bunch of cheap target loads and shoot it a lot. Watch some training videos. Most important is pattern your gun at 5,7,10,15 and 25 yards. You need to know what it is doing.
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

Nevahhappen

Good advice here so far.  I guess the only caveat I would add to the above is a pump gun - shotgun or rifle, rim fire,  center fire or shot shell - is prone to short stroking. 

Good stuff.  I was very familiar with rifles before my first 870.   Very embarrassed to keep short stroking the thing.   

Years later got some dummy 12ga shells to practice periodically going through to keep some modicum of muscle memory about how firmly to cycle the thing.

A pump action needs very firm petting.

JT

Federal has come out with a new 00 buckshot round. Basically alloy split shot that goes from 9 pellets to 18 on impact. Called Force. Supposed to mitigate over penetration.
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

Nevahhappen

I like the concept, now if someone gets it in stock at a decent price.   Been hoarding my meager stash of 00 and slugs.

JT

I am selling a 250 round case of Rem 12 gauge 00 2 3/4" 9 pellet. I am asking $250. Catch is I live in Lake Havasu City. A dealer offered to buy it from me today for  that price. Also have a case of RIO.
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement