Username: Password:

Author Topic: Epic Fail --- Apple maps app --- funny!  (Read 1002 times)

JB99er

Epic Fail --- Apple maps app --- funny!
« on: May 14, 2021, 11:22:31 am »
Was considering a camping trip at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon now that it's about to open, so I typed "Sedona" and "North Rim" into the app on my iPad.

The route it gave me goes straight north through Tusayan, down to the bottom of the GC, across the river and up the other side. Note that I indicated a driving route, not a hiking route.

To Apple's credit, the app did warn me that "May include unpaved roads" and "Walking required to reach destination." That's an understatement, considering that an R2R hike is 21+ miles.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: Epic Fail --- Apple maps app --- funny!
    « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 02:29:47 pm »
    Well, I guess driving a mule counts for their purposes but if you've ever ridden one for any length of time you might disagree.  Ask me how I know .  .  .   :whistle

Personally, I would go up through Page, over to Fredonia and down to Jacob Lake.  A side trip up through Kanab and over to Zion National Park is worth the effort and there are more places to camp a few miles away from the Grand Canyon than right on either rim.  The whole Arizona strip is big, open country and pretty sparsely populated.  Outside of the main summer tourist season its not even heavily visited compared to the stuff that's easier to get to. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JB99er

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 04:08:10 pm »
    Well, I guess driving a mule counts for their purposes but if you've ever ridden one for any length of time you might disagree.  Ask me how I know .  .  .   :whistle

Personally, I would go up through Page, over to Fredonia and down to Jacob Lake.  A side trip up through Kanab and over to Zion National Park is worth the effort and there are more places to camp a few miles away from the Grand Canyon than right on either rim.  The whole Arizona strip is big, open country and pretty sparsely populated.  Outside of the main summer tourist season its not even heavily visited compared to the stuff that's easier to get to.

Never ridden a mule or even a horse. But when I was a kid, I did ride a cow for a bit on the neighbor's farm.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 07:26:36 pm »
    Depending on what you call "camping" you might want to check about availability of camp sites in or near the park and any restrictions in place on dispersed camping in the area. 
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ynotaz

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 09:44:19 pm »
    Apple maps are notorious for their “interesting” routes.  They previously required you to drive across lakes or through buildings.  They fixed all the routing that silicone valley types might encounter, I’m certain that doesn’t include Sedona to the NORTH RIM OF THE Grand Canyon.  Any route between those points would get their Prius or Tesla dusty.     :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Try google maps or OnX Offroad.
    “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.

It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”

JB99er

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 07:13:58 am »
    Depending on what you call "camping" you might want to check about availability of camp sites in or near the park and any restrictions in place on dispersed camping in the area.

One of my favorite toys is my Garmin Overlander GPS. Expensive ($700!) but it shows dispersed camping areas. I have saved more in camping fees than I paid for the unit.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 05:25:53 pm »
     :thumbup
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement