Username: Password:

Author Topic: Maintenance/Periodic Maintenace on a Suppressor advise  (Read 1121 times)

1911_username

Maintenance/Periodic Maintenace on a Suppressor advise
« on: June 08, 2021, 10:21:04 am »
Last Fall I poped  my cherry and picked up a can. Offcourse being a first timer I went the cost affordable route. Purchased a RexSilentium MG7. Hundreds of rounds through it and love it! Not the quietest on the market but serves its purpose.

I picked the 308cal so that I can swap it between my other lower calibers.

So my question is Maintenance. I have allot of Carbon buildup. In the owners manual it pretty much states that there is no need for maintenance.?? It pretty much states to not clean it..?? I personaly think they state that for Legal Issues.

The type of can I have has welded stacked baffles. The rear cap is the only peice that can be removed for purpose of installing QD's.

So what are the maintenance practices do you guys do/ recommend??

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

cool arrow

Re: Maintenance/Periodic Maintenace on a Suppressor advise
    « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 12:23:09 pm »
    centerfire should not require much cleaning or maintenance, and will probably be quieter if it is dirty.

rimfire cans on the other hand........well, they get fouled up and dirtier than a cousin at a redneck family reunion.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” G.K. Chesterton

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 12:32:22 pm »
    Other than cleaning the mounts I wouldn't clean it. They can get leaded after enough use but most manufactures can re-core your can and send it back to you. In your case they might have to hack it most of it off and reweld replacement baffles.

Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 01:28:18 pm »
    I just messaged Rex Silentium and this was their response to me asking them about this concern.

"yes, we will recore it if you pack it with lead. If you shoot supersonics thru it sometimes, it should stay clear of the lead build up. Thank you!"
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

1911_username

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 04:13:46 pm »
    I just messaged Rex Silentium and this was their response to me asking them about this concern.

"yes, we will recore it if you pack it with lead. If you shoot supersonics thru it sometimes, it should stay clear of the lead build up. Thank you!"

That's good to know! Thanks for emailing them :thumbup.

All I shoot through it are supersonics, I actually bought it for my Hunting Rigs.

Thanks again Gents.

Mike-4

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 08:23:36 am »
    centerfire should not require much cleaning or maintenance, and will probably be quieter if it is dirty.

rimfire cans on the other hand........well, they get fouled up and dirtier than a cousin at a redneck family reunion.

I can see this with rifle caliber suppressors but do you know if this also applies to centerfire handgun calibers?

Regards

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 10:18:41 am »
    all suppressors are subject to fouling. all suppressors will gain carbon build up very fast. if not cleaned there is moisture that can build up. weigh your suppressor when you first get it and weigh is every so often. even muzzle brakes are subject to build up and point of impact shift or accuracy suffering.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement