Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pocket Holsters and Pocket Guns  (Read 1074 times)

Mr. Nobody

• 🇺🇸Fuck Joe Biden🇺🇸
  • Contributor
Pocket Holsters and Pocket Guns
« on: July 16, 2021, 06:18:57 am »
I am starting this thread to hopefully help some others find some alternative solutions for carry or just offer my advice on some guns or holsters I've used for "pocket guns". I've wanted to write these thoughts down for a little while on this.

Some guns I've used for pocket carry are the following:

1. S&W 642 38 special (first one I ever pocket carried).
2. Ruger SP101 WC edition, 357 Mag. Yes, pocket carried and it was an awesome revolver.
3. Kahr CW380.
4. S&W 640 Pro 357 Mag (the one with the night sights).
5. Ruger LCR 357 Mag.
6. Ruger LCR 22 Mag.
7. Glock 43.

I am a big proponent of pocket carry. I feel if you choose to be armed, you should be armed all the time. Commonsense dictates we never know when something may happen. Pocket carry is one of the easiest and most discreet ways to carry. I've been pocket carrying for more or less the last 7 to 8 years. Sticking your hand in your pocket and getting a firm gun grip also doesn't stand out such as reaching for an OWB or IWB holster.

Sure I've got bigger guns but guess what, don't really carry them. In the summer it's too hot and they're hard to hide. Most people I talk to are the same. It's funny when you talk to guys that "always carry" yet ain't carrying the day you talk to them cause it's too difficult or hot.

So let's get down to it.

What you carry is only limited by your manner of dress and your imagination.

I've carried all of the above guns at one time or another. The only ones I have left are the 22 Mag and the G43 now. Simply I buy and sell when I no longer have a need for something.

Revolvers are synonymous with pocket carry. They just plain work. I've carried a 15 oz 642 all the way up to a 27 oz SP101. Never a problem. Even carried the SP101 in gym shorts with a nice waistband. Revolvers are nice because they're shape and pocketable size doesn't stand out much. Some are light, either aluminum like the 642 or polymer like the LCR, or all steel like the 640 and SP101. That comes down to personal preference there. I like shootability of the steels over the light counterparts. Everything is a trade off. I also do like hammerless as well for the obvious reason, less chance to snag your pocket.

Out of the pocket with a revolver, the draw is easy and simple. Just takes a little practice.

Drawing with a semi auto pistol can be a little more difficult then a revolver due to shape, but not much harder.

Holsters I've used are:

Galco Horsehide pocket holster. Had this with the 642. Worked well enough. Was nicely molded to the gun. Never had an issue with sweat through.

Next holster I had for the SP101, 640, and LCR 357 was the Gen 1 Remora Holster. I love their holsters. They work well. Outside is like a rubber and grippy, and seems sweat proof which is a plus for here. Never had a problem with their gear. Quality stitching, quality materials through and through.

Holster I had for the CW380 was a Vedder Pocket Locker. It was okay. Kydex. Nothing overly special. Did what it should. Sold the Kahr cause I didn't like it and it's DAO trigger on a small semi auto gun.

For the LCR 22 Mag I picked up a Blackhawk Tech Lok holster (or however it's spelled). It's nice actually for the price. I've had it over a year. It works well. Grippy outter texture of some sort. Stays in pocket on the draw. Works for an off the shelf holster.

Lastly, for the G43 I have an AHolster pocket holster. Nice Kydex, nice design, and it works well. If you ask him, he can upgrade from the typical .06 to .08 Kydex upon request. When I did this, there was no upcharge. If I wanted .93 he said, it would be an extra $5. Not bad. I settled in the middle for the .08 just due to durability and thinness.

One holster I have yet to use is the new Gen 2 Remora and am awaiting receiving that for my G43 to try out.

While I like the positive Kydex holstering, I will say, the comfort of the Remora or similar aren't matched by the Kydex counter parts. So I do prefer those types of holsters and again, never had any issue with them.

If you don't have a pocket gun, I'd suggest checking one out. It may simplify your carry routine, especially in this damned heat. Or you may feel the need to carry a backup gun (BUG) due to all the craziness going on. Pocket gun would be great for that. Pocket guns also work wonderful in coat/jacket/vest pockets during the cooler months.

People often get worried when they start pocket carrying as well. Don't. It just looks like a bulge in your pocket, like a phone or wallet. I've never once been made pocket carrying and most people are mindless zombies anyways and don't pay any attention. As I said above, it's very discreet.

Hopefully this may help someone else. Pocket carrying daily was the best decision I ever made for my routine.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 06:24:50 am by Mr. Nobody »
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."
- George Carlin

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

DEFUND WELFARE

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

rjinaz86323

Re: Pocket Holsters and Pocket Guns
    « Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 08:26:45 am »
    I have carried this Kahr CM9 in my right front pocket for years.

Mr. Nobody

• 🇺🇸Fuck Joe Biden🇺🇸
    • Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 09:12:32 am »
    I have carried this Kahr CM9 in my right front pocket for years.

Right on RJ and thank you for your response.

I honestly can't think of a better way to tote in AZ if you're low profile and not LE or something that requires a large high cap gun.

Someone could always use more when the time comes but I'm one of the crowd that feels having something is better than being UNARMED instead of leaving a "big" gun at home cause it's difficult to carry or deal with.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
    ― Mark Twain

- George Carlin

DEFUND WELFARE

s3nfo

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 02:29:05 pm »
    Ruger LCP in front right pocket on occasion, in the pocket holster that came with it or just loose in pocket.

870policemag

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 02:39:11 pm »
    I'll have to check out remora holsters. I have a Colt D frame that I pocket carry while watering the lawn and I don't like it moving around on me.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

www.mesapawn.net

rjinaz86323

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 03:15:20 pm »
    I would never pocket carry without a holster. AD waiting to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

870policemag

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 03:24:26 pm »
    I would never pocket carry without a holster. AD waiting to happen

I would tend to agree with that but my Colt was factory converted to double action only with a shrouded hammer. My biggest fear is not being able to pull it out in time because it decided to do a somersault while I was carrying it.
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 06:54:11 pm by 870policemag »

www.mesapawn.net

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 03:35:27 pm »
    On those occasions I feel compelled to pocket carry, I've used a Galco pocket holster or SigTac pocket holster with a P938. I purchased an adapter from Alien Gear to turn one of my Alien Gear Shape Shift holsters into a pocket holster for my P365. Thanks to the damn lockdown I've been able to work from home for the last year and a half so I've not yet had the need to use it. These days when I walk out the door I'm usually carrying a P365XL, a M&P Shield, or something with a little more, er, kick.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Mr. Nobody

• 🇺🇸Fuck Joe Biden🇺🇸
    • Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 03:37:50 pm »
    I'll have to check out remora holsters. I have a Colt D frame that I pocket carry while watering the lawn and I don't like it moving around on me.

Nice Colt!

Here is a link. Right now discounted as well!

$17 for the gen 1, $19 for the gen 2.

I've had a few gen 1s. I liked them a lot. Rubbery kinda feel to them.

The gen 2 now out since 2018 I think is still rubbery but gentler in skin contact for those that IWB these (doesn't matter to me as I pocket carry them anyways) but is supposed to be even grippier. People say it kinda has a texture like a basketball but really locks on to fabric and skin. That's what got me to order and try the gen 2 instead of my trusted gen 1s.

I got a gen 2 ordered some days ago. I'm excited to try it. They say 10-15 day turn around, which has always been accurate. Not bad. Made in Florida (so, USA because it's important to me whenever I can support small biz and made in USA).

I had my gen 1s for a couple years. They went when I sold the guns. Still as good as new.

Also, if/when you order, pay attention when you go to include your payment stuff. There should be a little box you can check for a "free gift". It's basically a mag pouch for autos or a speed strip pouch for revolvers. However, you could put a pocket knife in if you wanted to I suppose. It's a nice little addition for free. Shipping is around $5 for the holster.

This is the Gen 2:

https://remoraholsters.com/product/remora-iwb-inside-the-waistband-holster-gen2/

This is the Gen 1:

https://remoraholsters.com/product/remora-iwbinside-the-waistband-pocket-holster/

Last note, you can do some customization to them as well. Like me, I upgrade to the "plush lining" for $5 because I like my guns and want the best. The regular lining however is nice as well, denier nylon, just not as smooth on the gun plus the plush does make it a little slicker on the draw which is a plus.

Other options are sweat shields or even clips for IWB. These holsters were originally designed as IWB holsters as well as pocket holsters. People like them a lot for that. Me, I just pocket it.

Hope this helps.
    « Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 03:40:05 pm by Mr. Nobody »
    ― Mark Twain

- George Carlin

DEFUND WELFARE

870policemag

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 05:20:20 pm »
    Thank you and thanks for referring me to a good company. I bought a plain jane gen 1 for a 2" detective's special. It should do the trick. :thumbup

www.mesapawn.net

KingGlamis

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2021, 06:21:59 pm »
    I used to pocket carry a Glock 26. Loved it. But a down turn in life made me sell it. Now I really want another one. Probably happen soon.

Just for an experiment I pocket carried my Glock 19X with a 17 round mag one day in the leg pocket of some work shorts. It can be done, but it's quite large. Do not recommend. LOL
    I consider owning and shooting guns to be a fun hobby. That could also save my life or the lives of others.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #11 on: July 16, 2021, 06:35:02 pm »
    I used to pocket carry a variety of KAHRS.. K9, E9, CW9 always in a leather holster so it would form better and sit against the leg or butt more. high noon holsters is who I used to use before I went back to IWB carriers.

I have been debating more and more about getting back into it as a backup like I used to but it got tiresome with all the other shit I carry.

It’s adds more to the Arsenal around me when out and about🤣🤣
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life... -Winston Churchill

Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #12 on: July 16, 2021, 06:36:44 pm »
    Oh and I used to pocket carry the shit out of my MP9C until I lost that in the divorce.. LOVED that gun
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life... -Winston Churchill

Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #13 on: July 17, 2021, 07:06:46 am »
    Oh and I used to pocket carry the shit out of my MP9C until I lost that in the divorce.. LOVED that gun

She might have let the best thing go but at least she got the second best thing. 

I find holsters to be a lot like underwear.  What fits one guy or gal might ride me a little different.  And pocket holsters are like lingerie.  Definitely specific to the person.

My wife wanted a holster for her S&W Shield.  Well..... Actually she wanted to jam it into the random bag of holding that is her purse - sans scabbard.  To this day I can not get her t understand why you can't leave the trigger uncovered and pulling a wad-o-entangled-shit (keys, pens, phone cords, lipstick, receipts) out of her purse isn't convincing her of that either.  But I digress.

My wife wanted a holster for her S&W Shield because her husband was being an ass.  So she sends me out to get a holster.  I'd like her to go with to "try on" a holster and see how it fits, but she is already compromising enough by just getting one that she won't go.  I walk into to Sportsmans looking for a bare bones POS Uncle Mike Holster to just "get the job done." One of their sales associates is really helpful and wants me to try on holsters - for the same reason I wanted her to.  I explain to him "I'm just here to buy a holster for my wife to start her off on a long collection of holsters that don't fit or chafe somewhere so she can eventually fill up a five gallon pickle bucket with regret and leather."  He says, "OHHHH! Can I interest you in an Uncle Mikes?"  Bingo.  Mission Accomplished.

She hated that holster so much it was a driving component to the decision to sell the gun eventually.

But all of that just goes to underscore the point in the OP that pocket guns and the places we keep the require specialized holsters and you really really have to do your research.  Hell event how the pants pockets are constructed will impact your pocket holster so from one set of shorts to the next your functionality will alter some.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

Mr. Nobody

• 🇺🇸Fuck Joe Biden🇺🇸
    • Contributor
    « Reply #14 on: July 17, 2021, 07:24:47 am »
    Thank you and thanks for referring me to a good company. I bought a plain jane gen 1 for a 2" detective's special. It should do the trick. :thumbup

Sweet, glad I could help! I hope it will serve you well as mine did. The rubbery texture is perfect and like I said, as far as I could tell, SWEAT PROOF. Important for out here. Haha.

She might have let the best thing go but at least she got the second best thing. 

I find holsters to be a lot like underwear.  What fits one guy or gal might ride me a little different.  And pocket holsters are like lingerie.  Definitely specific to the person.

My wife wanted a holster for her S&W Shield.  Well..... Actually she wanted to jam it into the random bag of holding that is her purse - sans scabbard.  To this day I can not get her t understand why you can't leave the trigger uncovered and pulling a wad-o-entangled-shit (keys, pens, phone cords, lipstick, receipts) out of her purse isn't convincing her of that either.  But I digress.

My wife wanted a holster for her S&W Shield because her husband was being an ass.  So she sends me out to get a holster.  I'd like her to go with to "try on" a holster and see how it fits, but she is already compromising enough by just getting one that she won't go.  I walk into to Sportsmans looking for a bare bones POS Uncle Mike Holster to just "get the job done." One of their sales associates is really helpful and wants me to try on holsters - for the same reason I wanted her to.  I explain to him "I'm just here to buy a holster for my wife to start her off on a long collection of holsters that don't fit or chafe somewhere so she can eventually fill up a five gallon pickle bucket with regret and leather."  He says, "OHHHH! Can I interest you in an Uncle Mikes?"  Bingo.  Mission Accomplished.

She hated that holster so much it was a driving component to the decision to sell the gun eventually.

But all of that just goes to underscore the point in the OP that pocket guns and the places we keep the require specialized holsters and you really really have to do your research.  Hell event how the pants pockets are constructed will impact your pocket holster so from one set of shorts to the next your functionality will alter some.

Just ask her how much she likes her purse and if she wants to put holes in it by accident... maybe that'll work. Women love their clothes and accessories. ;-D

Exactly. One size isn't always a fits all approach. I like holsters for pockets that are a little wide front to back because it'll fill the pocket a little better and prevents unintended movement as much, in my experience. If that makes sense.

As to your clothes, if you choose to pocket carry, you got two choices really, well maybe 3. Firstly, don't wear skinny jeans. :rotfl

Secondly, when you go to buy pants/shorts, hit the dressing room with your pants/shorts (if you're adverse to wasting times doing returns) and test your rig in the pockets or while trying them on is even better. Look for pants that have nice, deep pockets. At least that's what I go for and it's always helped. I live in cargo shorts or gym shorts. In my job I primarily work from home so I can do whatever I want. Also when I find clothes I like, I'll just buy multiples or the same thing in different colors or patterns so it's pretty universal across the board.

Lastly, or third, if you have pants/shorts but no pocket space, assuming your wife isn't a seamstress, I've read you can generally get pockets done for $5-$10 by a seamstress, essentially to your specs. Never had to do this as I just buy my clothes how I need or want them, but it is an option.

In my 13 years of carrying, I've not found something more convenient or inconspicuous as pocket carry. Carrying a gun can be both comfortable and comforting.
    « Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 07:27:57 am by Mr. Nobody »
    ― Mark Twain

- George Carlin

DEFUND WELFARE

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #15 on: July 17, 2021, 09:02:06 am »
    I'm fat.
    Relaxed fit jeans ARE skinny jeans.   :rotfl
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

Mr. Nobody

• 🇺🇸Fuck Joe Biden🇺🇸
    • Contributor
    « Reply #16 on: July 17, 2021, 06:39:16 pm »
    I'm fat.
    Relaxed fit jeans ARE skinny jeans.   :rotfl

Nothing wrong with that. I won't wear anything tight on me. The "fashions" these days are just wack.
    ― Mark Twain

- George Carlin

DEFUND WELFARE

sniper48

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2021, 09:19:22 pm »
    I use a Blackhawk Size 3 for my Glock 42. The holster stays in my pocket every time I draw. I agree, it takes a bit of practice for pocket holster draw.
    When you're the Big Dog, the fleas want to take you down.
    Fact of life.

Everyone's beautiful on the inside until I'm through with them.

MyBad

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2021, 02:38:46 pm »
    I have been using a Alabama Pocket Holster, with a Sig P365.  Great setup for me.

ExCal

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2021, 04:44:30 pm »
    I had a IWB for my Glock 19 & 26. But prefer the lighter/easier to carry S&W 642 in a $6 Ebay pocket holster. Our LCPs I use one of those kydex trigger covers with the lanyard around my belt. My wife just attaches hers to her purse strap. There are several different suppliers and prices. https://www.ebay.com/itm/203500274325?hash=item2f618fc295:g:a18AAOSwoqFfkVXw

I've also started to tailor my carry for where I' going. Local it's the 642 tossed in a pocket (or the LCP if going in a suit or meeting with a bunch of people around - just because it's stealthier). If I'm going to the big city it's the Glock 19 (9mm). For the ghetto nothing but the Glock 30 (45acp) and 2 mags will do.

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #20 on: October 07, 2021, 11:32:53 am »
    I've always liked DeSantis for a good pocket holster. They have a standard one and one with an extra flap(that's removable) that cost a bit more.  :thumbup
    Luke 22:36 (NIV)
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement