Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pump action 12ga - the king of home defense? Maybe.  (Read 688 times)

PogoJack

• Contributor
  • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
Pump action 12ga - the king of home defense? Maybe.
« on: July 19, 2021, 04:35:09 pm »
It's been discussed many times and many places.  I don't agree with the topic title but I'd call a 12 gauge more than adequate.

Just an excuse to show you guys a new video of various special projectiles coming out of a pump action shottie.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    Re: Pump action 12ga - the king of home defense? Maybe.
    « Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 09:05:49 pm »
    Maybe?
    MAYBE?

Ahhhwwww...  Them's fighting words!

He who would sully the 12 as a defensive weapon is the kind of character you would find relieving themselves on the sacred earth of his holy eminence, John Moses Browming's grave.

I saw the vid a few days ago.  Truly amazing that as finicky as some firearms are, that there is such a beast that will load like a cannon and blow "what ever" out the other end and then ask if you have any more of that.  Sure they are not all as accurate but that is the round, not the firearm.  The only way to make a pump action 12 more simple and rugged would be to let a Russian design it and restrict them to things you can find on a tractor.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

PogoJack

• Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 09:16:42 pm »
    Lol I would say it's the king, but I remember that a pump action can be short stroked under duress.

I think the hi-er point in 12 gauge is king,  though.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 10:30:48 pm »
    The 12 may be "king" but over time most learn that 20 is plenty.   ;-)
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

PogoJack

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 04:28:24 pm »
    The 12 may be "king" but over time most learn that 20 is plenty.   ;-)

My future shoulder thanks you for this reminder!  :thumbup

SupportThe2nd

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 05:20:45 pm »
    Even a 410 with slugs/buck is going to ruin someone's day. They are especially good for people that can't handle recoil.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Mr. Nobody

• 🇺🇸Free Speech Matters🇺🇸
    • Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 08:44:33 am »
    Can't beat a 12 for a fun gun and one hell of a handheld cannon.

I've shot 12s, 20s, and 410s. My favorites are 12 and 410. 20s are alright. As I climb the ladder of age, I any prefer 20s but love 12s for their size and power.

I think shotguns are still king of HD and CQC. In normal times they're also more affordable then replacing a nice pistol in case God forbid you use it.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
    ― Mark Twain

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."
    - George Carlin

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

DEFUND WELFARE

JT

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2021, 10:49:23 am »
    I have 12, 20 and 410 pumps. The 410 is more fun and with 9 pellets of #4 buck it is adequate for home defense. Especially when you follow with 4 pellet 000 buck. 5 pellet 000 buck is available in 3" shells. I have a 3" load that is 4 .40" balls. Do not shoot those through a choke.
    You can almost double the capacity of the 12 with the Mini shells and an Opsol adapter. 7 #4 buck + 4 #1 buck in each shell and lower recoil.
    « Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 10:57:12 am by JT »

Bayonet

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 06:06:50 pm »
    I have a 12 gauge and not too long ago I shot several boxes of slugs, my shoulder was feeling it after that trip to the range! It's definitely a good option for home defense.

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 08:15:05 am »
    I just had my sternum reconstruction repaired two days ago. I don't think it will enable me to comfortably handle a 12ga, and wish it would. This is special case, and I don't mean to  sway others by this comment; I just want folks to be aware that this fact is out there; some folks can't handle the 12ga recoil, myself included.

But I've also been primarily educated on the semi-auto, and honestly, under pressure, I simply forget to operate the pump after the shot. Insufficient training, bad training, whatever; it is a fact

Used to be, semi's were not reliable, but that's not really the case anymore. I use 20ga semi's and confidently prefer them. And I can get Buck of them. I own   A Charles Daly 20 semi, and a Rem 11-87 20ga semi; both impulse buys that delivered the hoped for promise.

Greg

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 08:18:14 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

RJ

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 10:25:20 am »
    i shot trap and skeet for over 30 years with a winny 101 and a citori, in 12 ga. i can maybe do a box or two then feel it now, so i pull out the 20 winny 101 and go at it, and even then after a few its no bueno

and for shotgun, hehe i carried one hunting weed monkeys for a couple years, its lethal, and a favorite.

PogoJack

• Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: July 31, 2021, 12:26:02 pm »
    For any new shotgun owners lurking here,  OG Officer Greg uses a shotgun every day at wok and trains other officers on its use.

Great fatherly advice, that could save your life. You might get a chuckle at his hot weather comment.

JT

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2021, 03:35:35 pm »
    Someone needs to come out with a semi auto that will run the mini shells reliably. Lower recoil and higher capacity.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #13 on: August 02, 2021, 08:16:37 pm »
    Actually Aguilla designed the mini shell for an 870ish knock off that they were making specifically for that round.  But the down side was you couldn't shoot anything larger.  Twenty five years after the gun died off, the round is just now getting some momentum. 
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

PogoJack

• Contributor
    « Reply #14 on: August 03, 2021, 02:13:29 am »
    I had no idea that there was an actual firearm which used the mini shell natively. Next time I get a hold of some I'm going to feed in a couple of mine to see if they feed.

A SA would be cool but semis can be finicky as is and with less gas to work with thatvwo8ld be tricky without some sort of piston adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement