Username: Password:

Author Topic: A question about swabbing out the bore after a few shots  (Read 998 times)

firewater forge

• "Who dares, wins" -SAS Motto
A question about swabbing out the bore after a few shots
« on: July 24, 2021, 08:58:02 pm »
I usually just wet a patch or two to get the "chunks" out and follow up with a dry patch. I have heard of people using rubbing alcohol to swab out the bore but haven't heard just how well it works.

My question is does it help break up and remove the fouling or does it dry out faster/better? Let me know what your experience has been.
"So prove yourselves cautious as serpents and yet innocent as doves"- Matthew 10:16 (second half)

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Ballistic Therapy

Re: A question about swabbing out the bore after a few shots
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 07:21:50 am »
    I clean my guns every time I shoot them.
    I do it the old fashioned way.
    Patch with bore cleaner a few times.
    Copper brush it.
    Then run another patch with bore cleaner .
    Then a dry patch until it comes out clean.
    Then a patch with oil on it.
    Then I put it away until next time.

Brake cleaner works pretty good also to get the junk out.

firewater forge

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 07:23:45 am »

I will have to try that out.
    "So prove yourselves cautious as serpents and yet innocent as doves"- Matthew 10:16 (second half)

arizona

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 08:03:37 am »
    I always thought you cleaned BP different than smokeless because the petroleum products make fouling way worse. That’s my understanding.

firewater forge

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 09:19:33 am »
    I was taught as a kid (and still do it today) to use a bucket of hot soapy water to get the BP residue out. Flush it with clear water, dry out the bore (Air compressor), oil it up and put it away. All my bores are still bright to this day.

arizona

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 11:44:55 am »
    I was taught as a kid (and still do it today) to use a bucket of hot soapy water to get the BP residue out. Flush it with clear water, dry out the bore (Air compressor), oil it up and put it away. All my bores are still bright to this day.

Are you intending to ask about running patches in BP or smokeless with your OP? The post is in Black Powder. Maybe I’m confused for no reason but I’m not understanding.

firewater forge

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 12:45:23 pm »
    I should alter the header of this thread. The question I hoped to convey was: Does rubbing alcohol work well in removing black powder residue when swabbing out the bore after a few shots. Does the alcohol just dry faster or help in breaking down residue or both?

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 12:54:44 pm »

There's two kinds - Chlorinated and Non-Chlorinated.  The chlorine contributes to corrosion.  It's great on actual brakes where it really isn't a concern but you want the non-chlorinated for everything else.

https://www.berrymanproducts.com/chlorinated-vs-non-chlorinated-brake-cleaner/
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 03:35:30 pm »
    Agreed.  I've used Ballistol on BP fouling in the past and had very good results.  A mix of Ballistol and water ( minimum dilution = 10 parts water to 1 part Ballistol ) seems to work very well on actual black powder residue.  The jury is still out on Pyrodex and equivalents at this point.  Wet swabbing followed by dry swabbing seems to leave bare metal and enough residue to prevent corrosion.
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 03:31:52 pm »
    For field cleaning/bore wipe, I use Windex, and for return home, I remove the barrel assembly, and use Dawn and hot water to clean it.  Placing the priming port under the water in a 5gal bucket, and running a patch in a plastic jag provides a pumping action that flushes out the basic crud. A hair dryer works to remove water before it can do anything harmful.

Then Bore Butter inside and out, metal, wood, everything.

For shooting round ball, I use patches impregnated with Bore Butter.

Greg
    « Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 03:35:44 pm by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #10 on: November 26, 2021, 03:54:12 pm »
    Get a bore scope. Without it your guessing how clean your solvent is actually getting your barrel. A lot of main stream solvents don’t do shit
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 09:12:25 am »
    ^^ THIS! ^^

You can spend the money on a bore scope now or spend it over the next year trying 18 different solvents.
    Without it, you are basically financing frustration.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

792mauser

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 11:12:12 pm »
    Those lemon scented handi wipes you get at a BBQ place make pretty good ersatz wipeouts.

Your not trying to get it "clean" when you do that. Just trying to keep the barrel in a similar state for every shot and to make loading a bit easier by getting the big stuff out.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement