Username: Password:

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me what this is and what is the point to it?  (Read 2603 times)

firewater forge

• "Who dares, wins" -SAS Motto
Can anyone tell me what this is and what is the point to it?
« on: August 02, 2021, 07:01:51 pm »
One of the last guns retrieved from my late Uncle's collection. It is made by Pedersoli, looks like a Remington rolling block but is a .50 muzzleloader. Pull the hammer back, roll the "block" back and there is a breech plug/nipple there. Maybe I am a purist, but this is bizarre to me.
"So prove yourselves cautious as serpents and yet innocent as doves"- Matthew 10:16 (second half)

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

armoredman

• Contributor
    Re: Can anyone tell me what this is and what is the point to it?
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 09:41:53 pm »
    In-line muzzleloader made to use shotgun 209 primers? Clean lines, nice looking rifle.

firewater forge

• "Who dares, wins" -SAS Motto
    « Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 09:50:27 pm »
    In-line muzzleloader made to use shotgun 209 primers? Clean lines, nice looking rifle.

Thanks for the info. What group would I market it to?
    "So prove yourselves cautious as serpents and yet innocent as doves"- Matthew 10:16 (second half)

arizona

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 10:56:41 pm »
    If it’s inline, wouldn’t it lack a nipple for caps? A bit confused but I’ll admit ignorance on the topic.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 02:54:44 pm »
    I've not seen one.  Maybe the manufacturer would be able to help identify it - which might help with a sale.   :hmm
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Pwc

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 08:36:35 pm »
    Shotgun caps do not use a nipple

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 10:45:47 am »
    It is a Muzzle Loading Percussion Shotgun (or rifle; check bore for rifling, etc.). Since it doesn't use cartridges, it could be more convenient to use as a muzzle loader back in times where ammunition was a sometimes thing (Hmmm....).

It's likely patterned on historic conversions of rifles. There probably aren't any .500 Shotgun Cartridges; like the original .410's, which cartridges were designed to be fired in single shot 45 Colt rifles. Likewise for cap and ball black powder.

I have sabots which allow 44 caliber handgun bullets to be fired in a 50 cal muzzle loader.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002281140?pid=562630

I would suggest you check auction sites to see if there are any out there on the market, and some sort of references to values, asking/paying. If there aren't; it could be a rare and valuable item.

Another potential source of info is collector sites. I'd ask Remington, but....

https://www.gunsamerica.com/937891888/REMINGTON-1870-ROLLING-BLOCK-50-ca.htm

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=Pedersoli+Remington+rolling+block+.50+cal+percussion+shotgun&iax=images&ia=images

Greg
    « Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 11:07:20 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

Bill Poole

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 09:24:18 pm »
    here's one: https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/en/product/rolling-block-musket-primer-hardwood-rifle (a ML with a pic rail?!?!)

it is a modern made muzzleloader made to look like the classic breechloading rem rolling block (Pedersoli makes those for cartridges too)

its a euro gimmick.

Uberti or Pietta also makes a 1873 Single Action revolver look-alike that is really a cap & ball.

in UK they cannot own cartridge handguns at all, but air and ML pistols are legal, in various Euro countries its similar, maybe in some countries they market to the license to get the ML is easier than the license for a cartridge gun. here in the US, you can mail order ML.

have fun shooting it!

Poole

leadman

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2023, 07:49:59 am »
    Cabela's sold this many years ago, probably 30 to 40 years ago. This was before the modern inline muzzleloaders. I could not afford one back then so bought an H&R Huntsman 58 caliber based on the Handi rifle.
    Both of these guns were fairly weatherproof and great for a left handed shooter. I got tired of getting hit in the face with debris from the nipple of a right hand percussion gun.
    « Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 07:52:26 am by leadman »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement