Username: Password:

Author Topic: Anyone have a Ruger LCRX 22LR?  (Read 866 times)

johnluke132

Anyone have a Ruger LCRX 22LR?
« on: September 16, 2021, 12:07:54 am »
Hi there, My wife shot a 22lr at a gun range in Tucson, It was a Ruger SP-101 22LR. She loved it, so much that she wants to start carrying a revolver and her first gun. I know I know, 22lr isnt my first choice or anybodies for their EDC, but hey at least shes interested, and something is better than nothing. Problem is, an SP101 is heavy, and not ideal for carry, so the LCRX looks like a winner. Problem is, no ranges in that I know of have a LCRX in 22lr for her to try, and at the moment, these guns are hard to come by. Anyone in Tucson, or in the Phoenix area happen to have one of these revolvers? I would love for her to try it, and shoot it at the range. I can bring my mp 15-22 pistol out, and let ya put a few 100 rounds through it if ya like. Thanks everyone.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    Re: Anyone have a Ruger LCRX 22LR?
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 05:22:32 am »
    Check out the KelTec P-17 while you are looking at those small 22's.  Wife has one and loves it.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

needsmostuff

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 07:21:32 am »
    Nope , don't got one ,,,, but , I have heard the 22Lr and 22mags  have a horrendous trigger pull in double action . Way more than the centerfires which are actually quite nice.
    I might suggest the 327 version of that same platform and she could run downloaded 32 long or 32 mags for comfort.
    I do have a 38 special Lcrx with the 3" barrel ,adj. sights and a hammer that has a decent trigger and can be shot SA/DA .
    Gun shoots fine and carries like a dream but the sights are so high over the bore I have never felt instinctive with it. And is is light enough that when shooting DA you have to really pay attention or it moves side to side a great deal . Not an easy gun to shoot DA.
    One more consideration about the LCR line is their construction does not lend itself to  disassembly and tuning /tweeking for things like trigger pull .
    So if a 22 LCRX is on the menu she REALLY does have to PERSONALLY smoke test one,,, for sure .
    « Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 07:28:33 am by needsmostuff »

h8pvmnt

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 11:48:08 am »
    I have a .22 Mag LCR 6 Round, not the "X".  A .22 LR SP101 8 Round and a .22 LR GP100 10 round. All have terrible triggers. The SP101 is the best of them. The LCR is basically not shootable accurately because its DAO with a terrible trigger. With practice it can be shot but i really don't know what its for. I have a .38 LCR and it has a pretty good DAO trigger. I suppose its the rimfire reliability thing that drives the extra heavy trigger pulls.  Maybe the "x" is better in single action. The GP 100 is absolutely horrendous and the worst of the 3 by far in double action. My cheapo trigger gauge wont even measure it.  I bought shims, and springs to try and improve the GP100 but have not gotten around to installing them yet. I imagine some improvement can be made but possibly with reliability being affected. One might be asking why i have them and i can't answer that. Other than i got "good" deals on them or not.... Someday my kids will have to sell them LOL.

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 12:52:55 pm »
    another option is to push her to a 38 spl, have someone load some light loads, wieght will be a tad more, but most gals shoot the 38 real well, light recoil, guns usually a little heavier and helps with felt recoil. my gal trades off her lda .45, to a lightweight taurus 38 regularly,
    and you are right a 22 willl usually get you want you want in other gats, if you know how to shoot and use it
    good luck, nothing like the spouse being a shooter, unless you are.................heheeh, and you get the drift.  :-P

Rj

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 03:42:46 pm »
    Some good points made here.  I would agree a .38 Special running 148 grain target wadcutters is going to be something to take a good look at.  Usually the center fire versions of revolvers have better triggers as has been mentioned.  The LCRx is a pretty scarce item right now and I would be leery of using it as a carry piece for a new shooter because of the hammer spur. 

Mrs. c and I have carried snub nosed .38's for years both with and without hammer spurs and a hammer spur is tricky trying to draw and fire from a purse or beneath a shirt or jacket.  It can be done but it takes training specifically focused on that.  The target wadcutter ammo is very forgiving in terms of recoil - even from a light weight revolver - and it completely outclasses the .22's in terms of effectiveness.  The .22's have the advantage of being cheaper and more available for now.  They are better than harsh language but unless it is the only option there are many rounds that are much better for self defense. 

These days you don't always have a wide range of choices when buying a gun so I understand the frustration at not being able to find what you want.  I don't have one of the guns in question but if I run across one I send up a flare.   ;-)
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Bayonet

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 05:16:16 pm »
    Check out a Glock 42, it's a great little gun and it's chambered in .380

Mike-4

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 09:20:17 am »
    I second the Glock 42 for any person looking for a small, lightweight, reliable pistol with low recoil.

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: September 17, 2021, 09:24:06 am »
    jeez, she wants to carry a revolver, does no one read :facepalm

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 04:26:30 pm »
    My B.
    I got LCR and LCX confused.

Mea Culpa.  I probably kicked of all of the semi auto recommendations.  I'll own that one.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 04:47:01 pm »
    My B.
    I got LCR and LCX confused.

Mea Culpa.  I probably kicked of all of the semi auto recommendations.  I'll own that one.

uh real confusion is when you mistake your sister in law for your wife, from behind they look and walk and act the same, hehehe, that was ugly for me.

Bayonet

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2021, 05:28:41 pm »
    jeez, she wants to carry a revolver, does no one read :facepalm

This is a forum and people like to offer suggestions - just like you did in reply #4 suggesting a 38 special.
    « Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 06:05:39 pm by Bayonet »

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: September 17, 2021, 06:43:54 pm »
    This is a forum and people like to offer suggestions - just like you did in reply #4 suggesting a 38 special.

yeah, but its a revolver,

johnluke132

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2021, 09:55:25 pm »
    I appreciate all the suggestions, and the info. At the moment, she is still adamant about owning a 22lr revolver in DA/SA. But she is now beginning to see the merits of carrying a more powerful cartridge. I carry 9mm, and have plenty of it, so she is considering that as well which is great. Looks like two new guns are going to become members of my household shortly!  ;-D
    The sp-101 in 22lr is looking more appealing, especially after reading about that better trigger. BUT, the price tho compared to the LCRX. Hmmm, Eventually we will make a decision, or whatever is available first. Looking at a shield plus because she loves the way they feel in her hand.
    She told me yesterday, that the gun she wants most of all tho is a 22lr revolver! haha Going to be a fun plinker for sure!
    I will be getting a CZ  Kadet adaper for my CZ's so we can both shoot 22lr handguns.
    Thanks everyone.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 03:19:32 pm »
    Once she tries that .22 LR adapter in your CZ she might have to have one of her own.  If she likes the rim fire/center fire conversion idea there are several options out there in auto loading pistols. 

As for .22 LR revolvers there are other options besides Ruger.   Maybe none that can compete with them on price but you can't buy what nobody has.  Smith & Wesson, Taurus, Charter Arms - all have .22 revolvers in their product mix and there may even  be a few in stock around the valley.   :hmm
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JT

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 09:55:16 am »
    I have LCRs in 22lr and 38. There is a big difference in trigger pull. They both weigh 16 oz loaded. I also have an SP101 in22lr and it has a better trigger than the LCR 22lr. Have her shoot the LCRX before she buys one. Rimfire requires a heavy firing pin strike for reliability. The best part of 22lr is cheaper to practice with. If she does get a 22lr revolver look at CCI Velocitor, Aguila Interceptor and Winchester Silver Tip (37HE with lipstick). I wont run those in a semi auto as they are hyper velocity.
    There was some good advice on getting an LCRX in 32 or 38. I carry 148 grain wadcutters in my LCR38. Light recoil and they do a good job on self defense. JHP does not always perform as they should in the short barrels and +P can be hard to control. Same for the 32. Magnum loads will be harsh. Stick with lighter loads. If I want more power I go to a heavier gun to mitigate the recoil.

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 08:39:59 am »
    While I agree that a 38 Special would be a better choice if she can't handle the recoil right now then anything is better than nothing. You may give a look at the 22 Mag, it's on par with the 22lr in recoil but ups the ft/lbs quite a bit and would be a better choice IMHO over the 22lr.  Ruger makes an LCR in a nice 6 shot 22 Mag and Smith & Wesson also has the 351PD and 351C in a 7 shot. 
       I'm personally looking at getting a 351C that we have at work for a new EDC/Pocket gun since it's only 11oz and gives me 7 shots vs the Bodyguard 38 Special I have now that's 14 oz and has 5 shots. Anyway, hope this helps.  :thumbup
    Luke 22:36 (NIV)
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

JT

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 11:37:41 am »
    That 351C looks interesting. It would make a nice little package. Places that had them in stock are asking in the $700 range. Tax and transfer bumps that up. Probably why they still had them in stock. Several on Gun Broker.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement