Username: Password:

Author Topic: New Gun - can’t reach mag release  (Read 1208 times)

Terpjillian

New Gun - can’t reach mag release
« on: September 09, 2021, 06:52:13 am »
I just purchased a new gun—without trying it first. DUMB! I know. :facepalm  (Let’s ignore that fact for a second. Trust me, an expensive lesson was learned.). Being female, my hands are on the smaller size. First time gun owner. I just started taking classes and never thought much about anything except being safe and grouping shots. I’ve probably used 5 different guns in total. I never noticed where my thumb fell in relation to the grip release. With the new gun, I’m trying to drop the mag and cant hit the dang release without using my non-dominant hand or adjusting my grip to reach it. I have two magazines, one holds 15 rounds, the other 10 rounds. Part of me says, “it’s a great gun, keep it, how often will you need to shoot more than 15 rounds.”  the other part of me says, go find something else that fits better.  Am I crazy to keep this gun?  I’m thinking I simply need to adapt and practice with a non-standard mag release. Using my non dominant hand also means the magazine drops to the floor, which I’m only guessing will destroy them quickly. Any advice?? I have only dry fired it. 

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

AZDTC

Re: New Gun - can’t reach mag release
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 07:00:19 am »
    Congratulations on the new purchase!

What is it that you bought?

I would look first at where your fingers are on the front of the grip. If I rotate my hand slightly counter clockwise, I too can’t reach the magazine release on most of my pistols. My normal grip keeps the front part of the pistol grip between the first and second knuckles on my fingers.

My wife had much smaller hands than me. I just got her to try on a Glock 17. Her grip is “correct” and to drop the magazine she lets some pressure off the grip, rotates her hand slightly to hit the release and then corrects her grip as the new magazine is being inserted. You wouldn’t notice it unless you really looked.

Also don’t worry, magazines are tough. When you’re practicing mag changes do it over a rug or some carpet. I’d be more worried about beating up the faux wood flooring in my living room

delta6

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 07:38:44 am »
    I just purchased a new gun—without trying it first. DUMB! I know. :facepalm  (Let’s ignore that fact for a second. Trust me, an expensive lesson was learned.). Being female, my hands are on the smaller size. First time gun owner. I just started taking classes and never thought much about anything except being safe and grouping shots. I’ve probably used 5 different guns in total. I never noticed where my thumb fell in relation to the grip release. With the new gun, I’m trying to drop the mag and cant hit the dang release without using my non-dominant hand or adjusting my grip to reach it. I have two magazines, one holds 15 rounds, the other 10 rounds. Part of me says, “it’s a great gun, keep it, how often will you need to shoot more than 15 rounds.”  the other part of me says, go find something else that fits better.  Am I crazy to keep this gun?  I’m thinking I simply need to adapt and practice with a non-standard mag release. Using my non dominant hand also means the magazine drops to the floor, which I’m only guessing will destroy them quickly. Any advice?? I have only dry fired it.
    Most folks rotate most firearms when they drop the magazine. It is/should be taught in any class you take.
    A good place to practice changing magazines, over your bed. Soft landing and you don't have to bend over to pick them up.

MikeT

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 07:43:56 am »
    If you shoot this firearm better than any of the other guns you have tried (smallest groups etc), if you are very comfortable with it and the ammo is relatively available. I would say keep it, but continue to look at other possibilities that may work better for you. Trading you gun for another one works fairly well, you will take a hit on the price if you should decide that you have something better or you can always but the gun up for sale here on this forum.

289ace

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 07:59:04 am »
    I bought a Makarov that felt great in my hand and I was fairly accurate with it, but realized later the mag release was on the bottom and I need two hands to remove the mag. While I enjoyed shooting it, everytime I needed to change mags it irritated me so I decided to get something else. I ended up with a Shield and then sold the Mak off.
    That being said, if the Mak had a 15 rd mag, I probably would have kept it as that would have been enough capacity for my needs.

As MikeT said, if you are comfortable with it and you shoot it well you might want to consider keeping it. Maybe give it 1-2 months and see how you feel about it.

Terpjillian

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 08:27:38 am »
    Thanks for the advice. I’ll be hitting the range today and see how I do. It’s a Wilson Combat SFX9. I got some advice on an gun purchase, only to learn its the Sig all the officers have lawsuits with, and that freaked me out, and while I’m sure the issues might be resolved, and it probably was a good recommendation, I needed to go in another direction for peace of mind. I did some research and got the best thing I could afford. It’s a bit short in the palm with the 10 mag, but with the extended 15 round it fits great there.

870policemag

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 09:12:55 am »
    This was how I was taught. Skip to the 10:34 mark or watch it in it's entirety. It's an oldie but a goodie. 

Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

www.mesapawn.net

delta6

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 01:25:14 pm »
    870 policemag... good one :thumbsup
    Even the Great One rotates the gun.... go to the 6:50 mark to start....

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 08:38:06 pm »
    Spend some more time with the gun.  Learn how it shoots for you and if you can draw and fire accurately and it carries well, consider learning to make the mag change work.  You may have to change your gun handling a bit but its no worse than learning how to shoot a double action revolver and reload it when you're shooting left handed.  Ask me how I know .  .  .   :whistle 

Once you get the technique you are going to use ironed out it is just a matter of practicing it until you are proficient.  Magazines - even those from Wilson Combat - are considered an item that will wear out eventually.  You can add a rubber bump pad to the bottoms of them and it will usually cushion the impact with a hard surface.  Good luck with your new gun. 

" A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 08:30:47 am »
    Your SFX9 appears to be a well designed handgun, with particular care to operating under difficult conditions. The Magazine Release seems to be configured to a 1911A1 standard, which may mean that accessories for that gun may fit yours. With that in mind, I checked out extended magazine releases, etc. for the 1911A1.

This one may serve your purposes, and does not seem to be very difficult to switch out. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1070272748

Give it a look and see if it could be a solution. The picures submitted by users can help a lot with your decision.

There are some other items on that page that may also be of some help.

Greg
    « Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 08:37:47 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

usmc5811

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 12:13:33 pm »
    Give Wilson a call. My bet is that they will be glad to help as opposed to you saying anything bad about it.

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: September 10, 2021, 02:22:21 pm »
    there is nothing bad to say about it, she just picked the wrong gun, telling them and hoping they will do ''something'' for her choice is a liberal way of doing things
    rj

CZ

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2021, 03:41:47 pm »
    I have to rotate or use two hands on just about every auto I own. In most cases I am already shooting with two hands so my weak had is already there to assist in reloading.

ExCal

delta6

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 05:33:08 pm »
    there is nothing bad to say about it, she just picked the wrong gun, telling them and hoping they will do ''something'' for her choice is a liberal way of doing things
    rj

Bull Shiat...... you drinkin' already....
    The gun is fine... Proper technique needs to be taught....
    I shoot with you. you have a SIG and you rotate the gun :whistle... geesch.... :facepalm

ynotaz

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 06:32:27 pm »
    Yeah, the gun matters but ya fight with the tool you brought.  I learned to reload with a wheel gun, at least 50 ways to make that go wrong, but we made it work. 

FYI I’m in the hunt for a SIG in 45, great pistol.
    Finally found my new sig:

https://youtu.be/yuEBBwJdjhQ?t=46

Jfri247

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2021, 07:42:53 am »
    rj

Lol wrong gun?  It's nowhere near full size, even a G19 would need to be rotated slightly to drop the mag unless a mag release extension were bought.  You must be drinking already.  Just adjust your lawn chair on your front porch and let someone with a bit more couth handle this one.

OP- great looking purchase.  I don't have large hands and have certain semi autos that need to be rotated slightly to drop the mag.  It isn't an issue that requires replacing a gun.  Just something that will require training.  15 rounds may be enough, but it may not be, plus practicing mag changes in live fire drills is fun. 

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: September 11, 2021, 09:11:03 am »
    if she can't shoot it, or reload it its the wrong gun, not knocking it, with the options in the valley to rent or even meet someone one of the many sites to allow her to try optional gats, silly issue indeed. I shoot sigs, and have medium hands and yeah mag releases on a lot of gats are and can be tough to reach, especially in a panic mode, watch a few shoot outs with the gendarms  and you'll many actually hit mag release inlieu of safety, sometimes a reason the mag releease is a tad farther. but again, with practice and a little training any issue with a reasonable gat can be over come.

you'd think i was anti christ, learn to shoot what you brought or go home,  :saywhat
    Rj

Jfri247

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2021, 09:20:06 am »
    Learn to shoot what you bought is the key.  Glad you can take some snark in return RJ.  Enjoy the gun OP, I'm confident you will get it sorted out with some practice. 

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #19 on: September 11, 2021, 09:48:00 am »
    First Off - CONGRATS!

Secondly - no gun is made specifically for one individual type of shooter.  They make them to be functional for most but not every one lines up at those ergonomics.  Just because your hands are small doesn't mean a small gun would necessarily fit you better.  It also has to do with how thick your palm is, how slender or thick your fingers are and where your knuckles break over.  As an example, I have rather large hands.  You'd think that a large frame gun fits me better.  They don't.  I hate the Beretta 92 because of the way it fits in my hands because of where my knuckles break over it.  I carry a Smith and Wesson M&P 9c with interchangeable back straps to make the grip larger or smaller - I prefer smaller, again because of where my knuckles break around the gun.

Looking at that gun you purchased, if you are having difficulty reaching the release you would likely have an issue reaching the release on a lot of guns.  That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you, your hands, or the gun in question - or even that it is the wrong gun for you.  It just means that in the "one size fits most" ergonomics you are just outside of most.  That gap between you and how the gun works (possibly the way a lot of guns work) needs to be filled with training on a slightly modified reloading procedure.  Very few people fit a gun so well that they don't modify their grip slightly to hit the mag release.  So what you are experiencing is very common.

No worries - you'll get there.  See if you can find a trainer that will work with you 1:1 or in a small group setting.  There are a lot of female trainers out here and they work with ladies only classes.  I know my wife prefers that much more than hopped up tactical former green beret's that want to focus on how to slice pie and clear a qal'ah (Afghani Home).  You want to find someone that can train more to the way you live your life.  If the gun is to become an extension of you, then it and the training need to become complimentary to you, not you becoming complimentary to the gun and training.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

ynotaz

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2021, 09:55:29 am »
    I just purchased a new gun—without trying it first. DUMB! I know. :facepalm  (Let’s ignore that fact for a second. Trust me, an expensive lesson was learned.).

Don't take it as a total loss or "expensive lesson", like a few folks have said, training and practice can overcome most, if not all deficiencies.  It would be rare if you found a pistol that fits your hand perfectly and has controls that perform flawlessly for you.   

delta6

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2021, 03:50:07 pm »
    Don't take it as a total loss or "expensive lesson", like a few folks have said, training and practice can overcome most, if not all deficiencies.  It would be rare if you found a pistol that fits your hand perfectly and has controls that perform flawlessly for you.   
    +1  :thumbup

RetroG

• Contributor
    « Reply #22 on: September 12, 2021, 03:25:30 pm »
    There is only one gun I have that I don’t have to rotate it slightly in my grip to hit the mag release, and it is a Walter PPQ with a paddle release on the bottom of the trigger guard.  And I still angle it to make the mag changes. The only other pistols I’m aware of that have paddle mag releases are some of the H&K line. 

Look at it this way, if the mag release button was too close to your thumb, you could be dropping the mag when you didn’t intend to, which is a much bigger issue, in my opinion.

I’m sure with practice will come confidence, and you will be fine.

Terpjillian

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2021, 04:06:53 am »
    Thanks for all the advice. It turns out my instructor has small hands. He grabbed the gun, “This is how you do it.”  And problem solved. As most of you mentioned,  I just need practice. I also purchased a magazine spacer and 18 round magazine—thanks for the support and links!

ynotaz

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2021, 07:49:28 am »
    Glad you have someone to assist.  Enjoy your new shiny.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement