Username: Password:

Author Topic: Why don't I use Google You Ask?  (Read 444 times)

SupportThe2nd

Why don't I use Google You Ask?
« on: September 11, 2021, 07:33:26 am »
I've stopped using anything Google years ago when I notices that they barely acknowledge important events in our history but will do an entire page on some obscure lesbian that no one as ever heard or cares about.

Microsoft may not be a great alternative as well, but if you want to see what I am referring to check out Bing.Com vs. Google to see the difference. May not be important to everyone but it is to me.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    Re: Why don't I use Google You Ask?
    « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 09:02:24 am »
    I prefer Firefox running UBlock Origin and Duck Duck Go as a search engine.  Occasionally I'll use a VPN service.  I've tried a few free versions and I like Proton VPN the best plus it marries well with my ProtonMail account.  Now that they have ProtonCalendar too the product line is really coming along.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 09:54:43 am »
    I'll have to look into that.  I've been using the free version of the VPN attached to my anti-virus, anti-malware program but it slows things down a bit and has a fairly short leash in terms of data limits.  Duck Duck Go is good but I'm also looking at other options.
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 09:56:41 am »
    Just to clarify after re-reading my comment - I've tried the free version of Proton as a trail and I liked it enough to buy it.  I just haven't bought it yet.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Jfri247

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 11:18:15 am »
    Brave is an excellent web browser that focuses on privacy.  They are working on their own web search as well.  Currently they use duckduckgo.

This must be what deja vu feels Ike, eh op?  Lol

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 02:06:43 pm »
    The Brave/DuckDuckGo combo works quite well for web searches.  :thumbup

That said I will sometimes find myself using Google web search with Brave because. with all of it's faults (and there are many), Google web search works pretty damn well with the Google web database.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

bassplayer

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 02:31:41 pm »
    I use Vivaldi browser with qwant.com as my search engine.  More private than duck duck go.  I also use a vpn by unlocator.  I use them since I have a mlb.tv account and I can get in-market games with it.  ;-D

"В мире полно королей и королев. Кто слепит тебе глаза и крадет твои мечты. Это рай и ад" - RJD

PogoJack

• Contributor
    • ἐρεῖ τῷ κυρίῳ ἀντιλήμπτωρ μου εἶ καὶ καταφυγή μου
    « Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 02:58:31 pm »
    Their initial “Don’t be evil” motto was a red flag years ago. Like a husband who tells you his motto is “Don’t beat your wife.”

TNFrank61

• Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 11:30:23 am »
    I use Startpage, they use Google but keep my info private.
    Luke 22:36 (NIV)
    36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

"The Second Amendment of our Bill of Rights is my Concealed Weapons Permit, period."
    - Ted Nugent

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 04:21:43 pm »
    Listening to the "Privacy, Security, and OSINT" Podcast this AM, he covered an interesting issue that happened recently.

There is a guy in France that is an Eco-Warrior / Terrorist.  He did some sketchy shit online and committed some crimes.
    He is a ProtonMail customer.
    ProtonMail is a ZERO KNOWLEDGE end to end encrypted mail provider - that's why I like them. And they are based in Switzerland.
    The French Govt asked the Swiss govt to subpoena his records.
    The Swiss Govt subpoena'd ProtonMail for the information.

ProtonMail said "Sorry - Can't give it to ya!  We don't track IP addresses."

So the Swiss relayed it to the French.
    The French came back and said "Track his shit then."
    So the Swiss said, "Track his shit then."
    So ProtonMail was forced to track his IP addresses and no one else's.  They turned over the goods on him.
    The French tracked his IP address to a provider and then to his house and arrested him.

ProtonMail is now removing he "we don't track your IP address" from their agreement because while they don't, they can't claim it if the government can make them.

Now I was about to sign up for ProtonVPN because I like it best but if your VPN provider and your mail provier are the same company, then the government gets a short cut.  But if they are different companies then they have to go get another subpoena for the other provider.  More hoops.

I've also looked at a hardware based VPN that is provider-less and would run of of an internal Raspberry PI computer in my house.  Great for home but not when out on the mobile network so it still doesn't provide 100% privacy.  So I would still need to get a mobile VPN.

Now I'm not about to perpetrate some sketchy shit but I live in the same area as Jon Ritzheimer and see him occasionally at restaurants and bars.  If he or someone like him is under surveillance and they grab the phone data for that area, I could be inadvertently added to a data sweep.  It sounds paranoid but the easiest way to not get radioactive toxic baby shit on you is to not pick it up in the first place.  So I like to insulate my digital self from any one of the multitudes of people in society that may happen to walk within proximity of me and be under digital surveillance.  Same reason I lock my doors on my cars and house and password protect my accounts, so people I wouldn't willing let into my life don't accidentally drift into it.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #10 on: September 17, 2021, 07:35:46 pm »
    Good points.  I have always been of the opinion that your anonymity is likely for sale to the highest bidder.  In this case, the one's who can put you in jail if you don't comply.  As much as we all use and depend on electronic communications they would be hard to do without
    But there is no such thing as complete anonymity.  At best you can have it occasionally and only then if whoever wants to know who and where you are is not willing to exert the full force of a government to answer those questions. 

To wit,

"Government is not reason and it is not eloquence.  It is force!  Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.  Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action."

George Washington

" A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement