Username: Password:

Author Topic: Coated bullet test and discount  (Read 1562 times)

delta6

Coated bullet test and discount
« on: September 15, 2021, 05:01:18 pm »
Bullet testing and discount offer. Be sure to see the discount offer from Summit City Bullets at the end of this post.

Recently RJ and I have been working with Tony Nelson of Summit City Bullets (https://summitcitybullets.com). We were having problems getting coated bullets from a couple of different manufacturers due to either quality issues or their ability to consistently deliver.

For the past last 2 months we have been testing Summit’s 9MM-115 grain bullets and have had great results. Since most of us are just casual range shooters our testing only encompassed appearance of the bullet, ease of reloading, functioning in various firearms and range ammo accuracy. All the bullets performed as would be expected and outperformed or equaled the 5 other bullet manufacturers, (4 coated and 1 plated) to a varying degree. Summit uses HiTek coating and Summit’s coating appears to be more even and “slicker” than the others we tested. How slick? You can see the results in the velocity increase over the other manufacturers.

Bullet weights were consistent, velocity averages were somewhat better and the range accuracy was as good as any other brand we have tested in the past. We tested our reloaded 9MM Summit bullets in  seven different 9MM pistols (and one PCC). Used in the testing were a SIG X5, SIG M17, Glock 17, S&W Shield, SA XDM 5.25, SA XDM Elite, Taurus G3 and a Colt PCC.

The ammunition was loaded on a Dillon 550. Primers were WSP and the powder used was WW231. The charge was 4.6 grains, as we have found in the past this is a good midrange load. All brass was mixed range brass. Seating depth was a nominal 1.1111. (some Taurus’s can have a chambering problem past 1.12 with some bullet profiles.) The target was placed at 15 yards. The average group size was 1-1 1/2”, with ½” being the smallest (SIG X5 with RDS) and 1.75” the largest (Glock 17 with open sights). You young guys with newer eye’s, probably would get better results.

DISCLAIMER:
RJ nor I have any monetary, rebate or free product agreement with Summit Bullets. We do not receive a discount from Summit Bullets other than what is listed on their website. This review is for informational purposes and offering a trial discount on bullet purchases for AZ shooters to evaluate Summit City’s product quality, pricing and delivery.

As mentioned above Summit Bullets (https://summitcitybullets.com) has offered AZ shooters a 7% discount on orders place between 9/17/2021 and 10/02/2021. When placing your order use the discount code “AZ2AMEND”.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    Re: Coated bullet test and discount
    « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 06:16:39 pm »
    Good info.  Thanks for sharing.   :thumbup
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 08:51:09 am »
    Well to add to the information, last week i shot approximately 300 38 spl. and about 400 9mm, just cause is was curious, i actually cleaned gats prior to shooting, as i wanted to see about barrel cleanliness on shooting these coated rounds.

i'd have say there was a difference between these and one other coated i use. I'd say, these actually were a tad cleaner, as pulling swabs, i d kept count and was pleasantly surprised i did not have to spend a gaggle of time on barrel cleaning, usual powder cleaning on revolvers , no difference there, as i'm not a cleaner so to speak they only get the swab when they quit working  :shocked :whistle :facepalm

and they sure are purdae

Rj

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 01:08:02 pm »
    Two Questions:

The PCC test, how was it done and how did it go (one question)

I hear they're Purdae, but WHAT COLOR ARE THEY??? (snicker...)

Greg
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 01:11:38 pm by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 01:10:00 pm »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 01:43:42 pm »
    the pistol carbon was actually about same as other bullets, but barrel was my concern, as only change in PCC can be if a powder change, i use W231 and its kinda dirty, but for the bang for the buck, i reload a lot with a lot less.

as mentioned the coating seems to add to velocity as we discovered over the others tested, we were as scientific as our primitive ways could be, we are always looking for price values on bullets, primers and cases, well basically reloading products period.  i and well my amigos, shoot a lot, more than most of members here would in a year. once a week generally on the cool months, warm ones maybe once or more a month if desert open or range time is available.

and yeah, bullets be purdae red, glossy red, thinking they are much deeper red than the lipstick acmes, actually a differnt shade of red. and as noted shinier, all the coated bullets we shoot do shoot well, and i have well over 8 or nine different makers, but we tend to lean towards the price point, to make our cost per round palatable, these are good general shooting lead.
    good luck,
    Rj

one could visit their website and get some more info i believe .
    Rj

delta6

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 03:19:44 pm »
    Two Questions:

Greg

1st pic...Colt PCC, 25 yards, 5 shots
    2nd pic..S&W Mdl 36-3", 15 yards, 5 shots

« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 03:22:20 pm by delta6 »

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 03:21:42 pm »
    lol, the question went over my head, had other ideas of pcc :-[ :whistle
    Rj

870policemag

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 03:30:36 pm »
    Nice groups! Not bad for 115gr.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

www.mesapawn.net

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 08:04:40 am »
    Very impressed. Will investigate the link, and such.

Greg

delta6

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 09:16:32 am »
    Two Questions:

Greg

Pics of 2 different testing days on how it was done.

leadman

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2021, 07:35:47 pm »
    I noted increased velocity when I tested my bullets coated with Hi-Tek. This was quite awhile ago (5-6 years?).  I haven't been casting or shooting much for awhile now but hope to shoot some this week.
    One of the tests I did was in the 223 Remington with a heat treated linotype Lyman 45gr RN with Hornady gas check with Gold Hi-Tek coating. I managed to get a 5 shot average in my 23" Contender rifle barrel of 3,619 fps with just over an inch accuracy at 100 yards. This combo in my AR15 was almost 600 fps slower. Twist rate on the AR15 IIRC is 1-7", Contender is 1-12".  This was right at the edge of leading but I could get no more powder in the case with the powder I was using.

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 05:53:05 am »
    I noted increased velocity when I tested my bullets coated with Hi-Tek. This was quite awhile ago (5-6 years?).  I haven't been casting or shooting much for awhile now but hope to shoot some this week.
    One of the tests I did was in the 223 Remington with a heat treated linotype Lyman 45gr RN with Hornady gas check with Gold Hi-Tek coating. I managed to get a 5 shot average in my 23" Contender rifle barrel of 3,619 fps with just over an inch accuracy at 100 yards. This combo in my AR15 was almost 600 fps slower. Twist rate on the AR15 IIRC is 1-7", Contender is 1-12".  This was right at the edge of leading but I could get no more powder in the case with the powder I was using.

Good to hear from you mark, been awhile,  and so you know its your fault we are got into the coated bullets, all the info you provided way back, put us on the track and greatly appreciated the info on casting and bullet hardness.
    hope all is well and a big thanks, love the coated units
    Rj

delta6

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2021, 06:10:56 am »

Good to hear from you mark, been awhile,  and so you know its your fault we are got into the coated bullets, all the info you provided way back, put us on the track and greatly appreciated the info on casting and bullet hardness.
    hope all is well and a big thanks, love the coated units
    Rj

+1..

delta6

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2021, 06:13:33 am »
    Mark, good information..
    What we have also noticed is that how the coating is applied has an effect on the velocities.

leadman

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2021, 07:07:10 pm »
    RJ, it has been awhile. Been way too busy the past 3 or 4 years.
     Finally went out to Table Mesa Road yesterday to sight in some guns for 2 upcoming hunts. Felt good to shoot again, even though it did smell where I was at. Seems a cow somehow died where people do alot of shooting. Did not get close so have no idea how that happened.
    The outing did remind me why I prefer shooting cast in my rifles at much lower velocity than 3,000 fps!
    I'll have to dust off some boxes and see what I have left already cast and load up some easy on the shoulder loads after the hunts.

Cdp45

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2021, 12:24:16 pm »
    Placed an order for 500. What I’ve experienced in the past is leading problems out of CZ Shadow. Hopefully I’ve got a new source for bullets.
    Thanks for the info

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: October 20, 2021, 01:59:09 pm »
    just another update, today went out early am, and put about 400 units thru these gats

sig x5
    xdm 5.25
    shield
    taurus g2c
    taurus g3c
    S&W Core platform 9mm unit
    colt 9mm carbine
    built 9mm carbine

and two 38spl units of about 100 rds

only one issue, and that was one light primer strike,

now this does not include other gats
    a ronin 1911 in 9mm
    xdm elite 5.25 compact

was pleasantly surprised , barrels look nice and clean, other than powder dirt, no leading could i see, or determine will review tonite with bore scope.

i'd say bullets are keepers.
    rj

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 11:24:04 am »
    Thanks for the update.   :thumbup
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Cdp45

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2021, 08:16:02 pm »
    Just got back from a 2 week hunting trip. 9mm bullets arrived and look great. Going to load some up and shoot a USPSA match with them on Sunday.

Cdp45

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2021, 04:43:57 pm »
    So I participated in a USPSA match this last weekend. Shot 2 different divisions using same gun. I ran the 124 gr 9mm bullets over 3.8 hrs of Vectan GM3 powder. 231 rds shot. Removed barrel from my CZ Shadow 2 and inspected for any lead build up. Happy to report NO lead build up. Will definitely start using these bullets in the future. Thanks to the OP for the hook up.

leadman

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2021, 09:07:54 am »
    I think that the coatings were the best advancement to happen to cast bullets in recent times. Shipping problems from soft lubes that actually prevented leading versus the hard lubes that allow leading are a non issue with the coating.
    The Hi-Tek coating which is made in Australia was tested and found to reduce airborne lead to almost nothing. There is still airborne lead from the "normal" primers. Also handling coating bullets is not as prone to getting lead on your hands.
    I did get some reported problems with leading with Hi-Tek coated bullets from a couple of 45acp owners. Seems the problem was fixed when the guns were sent to the manufacturer and they actually cut the chamber with a leade in it. The sharp, blunt end to the rifling was cutting lead from the bullet. Basically the lands were tapered at the chamber.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #22 on: November 22, 2021, 09:18:01 am »
    I’d recommend a bore scope video before and after. Patches so little to no significance or fouling or lack there of. Also a hardness test helps when producing these evals
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

leadman

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2021, 08:32:52 am »
    Well RJ, I have a bore scope if you want to rerun your tests. Also a SAECO hardness tester.  I might even attempt something like that.

RJ

• Contributor
    « Reply #24 on: November 23, 2021, 01:12:19 pm »
    well, having shot just about every coated commercial units out there, and doing a visual, not with standing using a bore scope, i'm confident of our findings, and very happy with the units as noted. I'm sure we could have invested hours, lotsa time, and equipment, but wasn't and isn't in the stars, we are not testing for matchs, or events that require absolutes, what we were trying to achieve was done, find a reliable, well coated unit, leaving little traces of its intended use other than down range, with minor inconsistancies, with that, we are done, and now having shot well over 8k of these in .45acp, 9mm, and .38 spl, i'm a happy gunner, for others milage may vary, and i hope its good and successful, and if another comes along, one can be sure will give it the same test as we have done here to stick with our base line,
    and yeah, did i mention price, it had a big thing to do with findings, if no good, we no buy, so value per round was a consideration, i'm sure the peanut gallery will have other ideas. Life is good

and thanks for offer, borescope is available here just not in the stars.
    best to all for the bird day, may you push away from the feast happy
    Rj
    « Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:16:25 pm by RJ »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement