Username: Password:

Author Topic: switchblade recommendations?  (Read 890 times)

Dullahan

switchblade recommendations?
« on: October 31, 2021, 05:36:14 pm »
Hello fellas, been away a while but glad to pop back and say hi. So I want to buy a good, solid, serious switchblade. Fully automatic opener not an "assisted" one you have to help along. I want a button/switch operated one. Front or side opener is fine. Ideally USA made and absolutely no chinesium. Can anyone suggest a solid maker?
"This gun is Liberty. Hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery." - Toussaint L'Ouverture

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    Re: switchblade recommendations?
    « Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 05:54:10 pm »
    Microtech
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

Earl Cordova

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 06:31:32 pm »
    Anything Microtech.
    They are not cheap, but they are the best.

https://www.microholics.org/

CZ

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 07:18:00 pm »
    I have a Cobratech that has been a good EDC knife. I would buy another one if I lost this one...

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 09:19:11 pm »
    This might be a good place to see some of what is available.  There are new and used knives here, modern designs and old classics as well.  In modern designs some of the Benchmade stuff is pretty good - particularly if the Microtech stuff is out of your comfort zone price wise.  If the knife doesn't have to be an everyday hard use tool maybe one of the older, stag handled German or Italian blades would work well.  They have a nice heft and classic good looks, IMO. 

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com    Go to the category menu and click on "Automatic" at the top of the column. 

The site itself and a lot of the sellers there have been around for many years.  I have dealt with a few of them and always had good luck with my transactions. 

" A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

870policemag

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 10:26:33 pm »
    I've owned a couple of microtechs and Benchmades and microtech wins based their tighter tolerances. Their springs are tighter but their actions have less slack.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

www.mesapawn.net

thom

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 09:35:32 am »
    What about the cutting edge blades?  Cheaper at $100.00 and they work.  The only other blades I have are spyderco and they aren't switches.
    Finally Retired
    AZCDL Life Member
    GOA
    NRA Life Member
    A politician is a fellow who wants you to lay down your life for his country.

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 12:08:16 pm »
    The only issue I have with Microtech's is finding some place that actually has them in stock. They are expensive but damn good quality. Unfortunately most people seem to know this.

When I was purchasing knives I would typically get them from BladeHQ. For grins I checked them this morning and their pickens were rather slim.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 12:17:22 pm »
    Microtech gives decent discounts to MIL also. I have an ultra tech and a LUDT on order from them. It takes a few months
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

needsmostuff

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2021, 08:36:19 am »
    WARNING ! Alternate viewpoint alert.

Don't get me wrong , I like and own several auto and assisted openers ,  and yes 1 Benchmade
    But ,,, I never got on the multi hundred high end auto kick although I own probably 200 upper end folders .
    Why the difference ? Its their intended usage as I see it.
    Most are not well designed for everyday cutting chores . Most are designed as a shiv like stabby thing suited for self defense which is the only reason I generally carry one .
    Some ARE better designed for cutting with drop point or upswept blades but not as common and probably not as strong as a conventional lockback for serious man work.

So if everyday carry is the target one must deduce what the actual use is . If you are wanting a flashy , iconic Wow them at the water bottle pocket piece , read no more and carry on.
    But ,,, Please don't say opening boxes  ! Maybe the most destructive thing someone can use a high end blade for and the reason they make disposable boxcutters for.
    One handed cutting can be a factor if the other hand is busy. Cutting string of a hay bale , scraping paint , opening cement bags ,who knows . But it  is usually not delicate work for a prized possession and more suited for a tool .  Tools can be easily cleaned easily , often high dollar autos cannot.
    So my autos and assisted  while still quite nice are closer to beaters than collectables . My self defense carry auto is  a heavy framed (Boker copy ) pointy ,stabby , half serrated  knife that carries quite conveniently in a watch pocket and opens so briskly you had best be hanging on.
    I will not  cry if I loose it , I will not cry I break  it , I will not cry if I scratch it , I did not support the evil Chinese bastards  because I bought it used for $10.00.
    O Yeah , my one Benchmade ?
    I bought it quite affordably form a fella that found it ,,,,,, after somebody lost it. Bet that guy was crying.
    Can't bring my self to carry it cuz you know what they say about found tools and knives.

ExCal

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2021, 10:39:07 am »
    I only have one switch in the collection. As a fan of the Buck 110 that is the one I bought. If I needed one to carry it would be their Impact line.

https://www.buckknives.com/search?q=automatic

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #11 on: November 02, 2021, 11:50:28 am »
    Great questions!! Needsmorestuff
    Autos are great for fighting. It’s hard to deploy a folder one handed in confinement. I still haven’t found a fixed blade I can conceal with a large handle.

If it breaks. That’s why you buy from a reputable company. They will fix the blade .

For EDC I went through this with a guy asking why I pay 320 bucks for a modlite over an olight. Reliability durability.

If it lost o well. I won’t worry about negligence as I have my own system
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #12 on: November 02, 2021, 02:10:29 pm »
    I've always found a smallish fixed blade works better for a hard use, every day work blade than anything else.  The trick, as you say, is being able to carry the knife and the sheath unobtrusively.  Very, very few rigs like that also allow for drawing and sheathing the knife with one hand.  One hand use is my only concession to the automatics as few are well designed for actual cutting tasks.  About the closest I have found is one of Charlie Ochs 'chute knives or one of the Paragon knock-offs of that design from the 1990's. 

There are some decently made fixed blade "neck knives" and a few that can ride horizontally on a belt but damned few and fewer still that can be drawn and sheathed with one hand.  The longer I study this the more I am convinced that the Scandinavians got this whole thing figured out a long time ago.   
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Ruh-roh

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2021, 10:40:45 am »
    I don’t have “collectible” knives. My EDC for the last 12 years has been a benchmade AFO with the combo blade. Gets used almost daily, still works great, holds an edge and not hard to refresh the edge. If you can try them out: the feel, the opening pop can be really different between brands and very different. As far as price goes: when you buy a tool do you go Dewalt or Harbor freight? Do you carry a HiPoint or a Sig? Carry and use something you have confidence in.

Dullahan

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 04:44:29 pm »
    Thanks for the ideas and tips. @excal I had NO idea Buck made autos. I'm a fan of their tools and will be looking into that 110 auto more closely.
    "This gun is Liberty. Hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery." - Toussaint L'Ouverture

Leo

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2021, 08:22:28 pm »
    Take a look at Ravencrest Tactical Knives. They are a local company (and gun store) in Mesa. I don't have one, but the ones I handled seemed to be very well made. https://ravencresttactical.com/

AZDTC

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2021, 09:13:13 pm »
    Take a look at Ravencrest Tactical Knives. They are a local company (and gun store) in Mesa. I don't have one, but the ones I handled seemed to be very well made. https://ravencresttactical.com/

They’re Chinese knives. They put them together in Mesa at the shop and cerakote them there. But all the parts are Chinese. Makes paying $300 less appealing to me.

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #17 on: November 06, 2021, 10:43:37 pm »
    Ha I was given one for Xmas like 3-4 years ago maybe. And the butterfly fell apart that morning. Raven crest is complete shit
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

Dullahan

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 01:37:39 pm »
    Found a Buck 110 Automatic at the gun show today by pure chance. It's like brand new, not a mark on it. $150. It is SOLID and built in the USA. I recommend it if you are looking. If it should fail, I'll let you all know. But based on the regular 110 I've been using for 35 years without a hitch, I'm betting it'll outlive me.

870policemag

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2021, 07:07:42 pm »
    Hell yeah man! I've been looking for one of those for a while.
    Since you created this thread I bought another Microtech.

I guess you could say I have a type.
    « Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 07:10:04 pm by 870policemag »

www.mesapawn.net

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #20 on: December 04, 2021, 09:08:00 am »
    Microtech stitch is a beast
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

870policemag

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2021, 09:40:21 am »
    I'm digging the stone washed finish. I can't tell you how many times I've thought about stripping the cerakote off my ZEV slide and chucking it in rock tumbler to get the same look.

www.mesapawn.net

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #22 on: December 04, 2021, 09:57:13 am »
    Do it!!!!! I wana see it just out of curiosity.
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    GLOCK Armorer

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement