Username: Password:

Author Topic: Scepter Fuel Can - WTF is with this smart control spout and no cap?  (Read 307 times)

Dullahan

I bought a couple of Scepter brand "5 Gallon SmartControl Gasoline Can #FR1G501" for storing fuel in the shed. They come with the ridiculous "smart control" spout and NO simple cap that I can use to just seal them tight. Question -- will that spout act as a proper cap so that I don't lose gas from evaporation? I've called Scepter to ask and they don't reply. I cannot seem to find an aftermarket cap that promises to work specifically on this model can.

I'd welcome any insight on
1) Is the spout going to work as a cap to seal for long term storage of at least 6 months?
2) Does anyone know of an aftermarket cap?

I have been to a number of hardware stores and no one can answer either question.
"This gun is Liberty. Hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery." - Toussaint L'Ouverture

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Clifffalling

Re: Scepter Fuel Can - WTF is with this smart control spout and no cap?
    « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 04:17:22 pm »
    Yes. The "spout" apparatus will seal. They are pretty much all required to do so now.
    This is what i recently ordered. Seemed to be the simplist and easiest to manipulate.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/660681379
    Flagtaff: Poverty with a view.

ExCal

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 05:07:11 pm »
    Check ebay there are people selling the old style caps with none of the "smog equipment". Also caps for what you have to assure it's sealed.
    Put StaBil in any gas you store - it doesn't last like it used to.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313&_nkw=gas+can+cap&_sacat=0

Earl Cordova

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 06:27:36 pm »
    I purchased my Scepter gas cans from Great Britain and a few from Canada so I could avoid that crap.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 08:31:13 pm »
    There are a few gas stations around AZ that sell E-0 or Ethanol Free gas.  It is what old timers like us use to just call.... gas.

One is the Maverick station in Prescott near the hospital and the other is in Cottonwood if I recall.  Close to Tuzigoot.  There is a Maverick there that carries it.  With no ethanol in the gas it has more energy per gallon and stores better / longer.  I still use Sta-Bil and try to rotate every year but it is more like every 6 to 18 months given my recent track record.

Currently I have NO GAS STORED and it is kinda heeby jeebing me out.  My cheapo chi-com amazon Nato-Repro can swole up in the heat of the garage and started leaking at the seams.I still have it and need to trash it but I can't find a replacement that makes me happy.  Lots of good jugs out there - all topped with a crappy Al Gore Nozzle.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 10:28:47 pm »
    Unofficially, I've started storing extra gasoline in VP Racing fuel jugs. Since my old back isn't nearly as tolerant as it used to be, I invested in a small battery powered fuel transfer pump that screws into the cap.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #6 on: November 17, 2021, 05:40:53 am »
    Yeah this thread had me going back and reviewing my old thread on the topic and looking at the Scepter, Gelg and VP cans again last night and this morning.  I think I'm pulling the trigger on the VP because of one tiny detail I hadn't noticed before - the vent.  Tractor Supply has the VP style ad the Scepter plastic Nato style for roughly the same price as each other and as cheap as online when shipping gets added.  I'll mosey down there and compare the two and see of the vent makes VP the winner.

I found a place that sells vents you can add to a gas can but that's extra surgery and they cost like $20 to get the vent - on top of the cost of the can.  Once you start adding in vents and jiggle ball siphons and battery powered pumps and high quality containers, you might as well just get your own little Garage Oompa-Loompa to manage your fuel reserves for you and hand you tools or hold the flashlight while you work too.

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

Marx-ism's

• Administrator
    • Why a duck?
    « Reply #7 on: November 17, 2021, 07:28:07 am »
    When I was doing my research, one of the things I found out was to avoid potentially counterfeit VP Racing jugs.  Apparently this is a potential concern when purchasing the jugs from Amazon or from FleaBay. The counterfeit VP Racing jugs supposedly have inferior seams that can potentially deteriorate and split.

Oh, and be aware that there is a potential issue with the vents on the VP Racing jugs. If a full jug gets jostled about, they can leak fuel from the vent. It seems that VP Racing didn't put an o-ring into the vent cap to help seal it when the cap is attached.  I, er, fixed mine thanks to a cheap o-ring kit that I purchased from Harbor Freight.
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

ExCal

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 09:29:03 am »
    I found a place that sells vents you can add to a gas can but that's extra surgery and they cost like $20 to get the vent - on top of the cost of the can.  ........ you might as well just get your own little Garage Oompa-Loompa to manage your fuel reserves for you and hand you tools or hold the flashlight while you work too.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/304193860159?hash=item46d35df23f:g:3I0AAOSwa0pgdwsT
    Vents $3 for 10 of them - from China of course.
    Hired my Garage Oompa-Loompa 50 years ago and she still never holds the flashlight in the right spot.

Dullahan

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2021, 02:31:28 pm »
    Thanks for the tips. I'm going to just tighten the spouts down snug and hope for the best. I won't buy these again. I got a deal at $20 each new, but in retrospect, I wish I'd have spent the extra money ($90 for a 5-gal can) on more Wavian brand NATO jerry cans. I have four and they are amazing. I kept them in the house for years and never smelled a bit of gas leaking. They even sell a gen-you-wine flexible metal pouring spout to go with them. Lesson learned.
    "This gun is Liberty. Hold for certain that the day when you no more have it, you will be returned to slavery." - Toussaint L'Ouverture

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement