Username: Password:

Author Topic: Expanding your prep to the real world...  (Read 1060 times)

KingGlamis

Expanding your prep to the real world...
« on: November 17, 2021, 07:46:25 pm »
I think it's important to remember we don't  just prep for the SHTF but we also must prep for worsening supplies at retail stores. Most of us have food, water, guns, ammo, medical supplies, flashlights, batteries, etc. And thanks to 2020 we now have plenty of toilet paper. But do you have deodorant? Shampoo? Tooth paste? Q-tips? Razors to shave with? Super Glue? Tape? Gun oil? Epoxy? Paper towels? Pens or pencils, paper? Gasoline? Oil for your car? Solar panels? Solar battery chargers?
Feel free to add to the list...

Also, are you prepared to barter some of those things? Good idea to have lots and lots of items that can be bartered once money is worthless. And it doesn't take societal collapse for money to be worthless. In the middle of a natural disaster or the middle of social unrest, money is likely to be worthless. That could happen tonight.

Here's a tip, the next time you need something and can't find it, ask yourself if that item needs to be added to your preps. I did so recently with eye drops. Couldn't find any, ordered several to add to my preps.
I consider owning and shooting guns to be a fun hobby. That could also save my life or the lives of others.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

SupportThe2nd

Re: Expanding your prep to the real world...
    « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 08:57:42 am »
    I would add a solar generator to the list. With panels you can have a decent backup when there are no others. I think the one thing we really lack in our stash are antibiotics and other basic hygiene items like toothpaste, deodorant, floss etc. All important to stash away.

I do have one resource I have used in the past and all of the books are free to download. Check out:  http://www.survivorlibrary.com/index.php/library-download
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 09:41:53 am »
    i would add health. Invest in your health over items. I see alot of overweight and medicated "firearms" enthusiasts that buy all this shit but havent exercised in years.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 10:00:07 am »
    All good points to consider.  We have covered a lot of this ground before in our archived threads but it is good to have it out on the table for discussion considering the number of new members lately.

This being Arizona, we can't get around the fact that water is probably the number one thing we all take for granted.  None of us will live long without it and if you don't have it THAT generally becomes your overriding concern.  Two things that must be done are figuring out how much you and your family absolutely need to survive and figuring out how much you are actually using to live your life normally today.  If you have never lived without the ability to provide more water than you can carry it is an eye opener. 
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

KingGlamis

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 07:27:25 pm »
    i would add health. Invest in your health over items. I see alot of overweight and medicated "firearms" enthusiasts that buy all this shit but havent exercised in years.

I agree. I walk a minimum of 3 miles a day but over the last two years my average has been over 5 miles a day. I'm not trying to preach by saying this, but I feel amazingly better than before I started walking every day. Plus my job involves physical labor every day. It makes a huge difference than just being a couch potato.
    I consider owning and shooting guns to be a fun hobby. That could also save my life or the lives of others.

Clifffalling

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 04:28:41 pm »
    I bought a case of 100 (i think) bic lighters for trading.  Also i picked up a bunch of dehydrated water for emergencies. It's pretty sweet... i just add water. 😁
    Flagstaff: Poverty with a view.

JT

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 07:19:02 am »
    An item not many think of is condiments in single use packets. Salt, pepper, mustard, ketchup, BBQ sauce, hot sauce, soy sauce and a lot more in single use packets. Condiments in bottles will go bad if not refrigerated after opening. The single use packets don't require refrigeration. Spices and condiments will keep the rations from being bland and tasteless. You can also grab a handful when you go to a fast food joint.
    Also yellow mustard is good on light burns.
    We stock a lot of spice and herbs in large jars. The Dollar stores have SMALL jars of spices and herbs which would be good for trading at a much lower price than the markets. 2 oz of black pepper corns $1. Small sealed jars will trade a lot better than large jars. The pepper corns will last a long time but you need a grinder. They also have a lot of good 1st aid items.
    « Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 07:21:14 am by JT »
    Patron NRA GOA AZCDL

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement