Username: Password:

Author Topic: NP3 coating anywhere?  (Read 232 times)

RB3212SM

NP3 coating anywhere?
« on: December 28, 2021, 08:45:18 pm »
Anyone know of a vendor/gunsmith who still offers the NP3 coating that Robar use to?

I know Robar closed and that Wright Armory in Mesa was doing it until they stopped in October (saw the other thread about it)

Wright mentioned they may be looking for another company to take over the coating business side, but no news yet

Any one else out there doing it?

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    Re: NP3 coating anywhere?
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 08:51:56 pm »
    Man I highly discourage np3. Do a qpq or nitride. Or spend the time and polish. If you must ask overwatch precision who they use
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

RB3212SM

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 08:55:47 pm »
    Not familiar with QPQ...... any good sources of info on that?

Thanks

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Administrator
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 08:25:45 am »
    Man I highly discourage np3. Do a qpq or nitride. Or spend the time and polish. If you must ask overwatch precision who they use

Agreed...   I'm a total doofus when it comes to NP3.  I know less than nothing about it other than it bonds Teflon (PTFE) to Nickle or Chrome somehow.

However - my experience with just Teflon alone and the many and various ways it was incorporated into other products has taught me that Poly Tetra Fluoro Ethylene is a consumable product.  Almost anything that ends with Ethylene is a consumable.  It wears down, wears off, burns up, breaks down, unbonds, vaporizes, and even sublimates (solid to gas bypassing liquid) at the right temps.  I wouldn't put it on my cookware, and while I'm not eating off my guns, I don't find it worth the money to buy anything with Teflon or PTFE in it because it has never lived up to the hype.  Is NP3 better than your Grandaddy's Rem-Oil for surface protection and slipperiness?  Absolutely it is.  Is Rem-Oil cheaper and easier to apply? You Betcherass it is.  Beyond that there are coatings (sans PTFE) that I'd rather get and then use a good quality lube.

CRR is right - Skip on the Teflon and go for a good Nitride.  Then just give it the TLC with lube every now and again.

Not familiar with QPQ...... any good sources of info on that?

Thanks

https://www.ibccoatings.com/melonite-qpq/
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

RB3212SM

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 07:37:36 pm »
    Good info, Thank you

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement