Username: Password:

Author Topic: Future availability of 7.62x54 ?  (Read 9625 times)

alman

Future availability of 7.62x54 ?
« on: March 05, 2013, 08:56:30 am »
I have been considering an  M91/30 ,  M38 or some such Mosin variant for the better part of 3 years now . When money is hand it seems like its always the second or third option . In the current world we live in the prices for these rifles are rising fast . I would still like to purchase one before its deemed "not worth it" . Having said that it seems now one of the factors in this decision would be how long before 7.62x54 surplus "Cheap ammo " runs out . One of the main reasons these guns are attractive to me is they are inexpensive to feed . Any thoughts on how long it will be before that is not the case ?
Al
"THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over"   
-Hunter S. Thompson

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    Re: Future availability of 7.62x54 ?
    « Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 09:35:12 am »
    Short term fix would be heading up to j&g or keepin close contact with somebody up in tht area. The long term would be to start reloading for your favorite calibers. Unfortunately brother everything is rising and who knows when it will go bk to normal. I'd head out to the shoot on the 23rd and shoot one to make sure it's ur cup of tea.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

alman

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 10:19:48 am »
    I have shot a Mosin before & do enjoy the JOLT it provides  :yes .........
    "THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over"   
    -Hunter S. Thompson

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 10:21:46 am »
    I'm willing to haul down ammo from J&G and sell it at the next range day ($100/440 round can - gotta have a little markup for my gas  ;) ). Just give me a heads up on how much you want.

JeffW

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 10:42:21 am »
    With millions of these guns in civilian hands, the demand for ammo will be strong. Strong enough for the Russian ammo manufacturers to keep on making it. Recently, I got a spam can of 7.62x39 , and the boxes inside looked more like commercial products than military. They were marked "keep out of the reach of children" and "steel case"  and they had warnings about lead content. All in English.  Made in Russia by "The Ulyanovsk Cartridges Works" I suspect the next can of 7.62x54 could be the same way.

alman

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 12:09:08 pm »
    Sounds like I'll be on the lookout for one of these come tax time  :yes Pre insanity I could pick up a 91/30 for $99.00 at the local . He always had 10-20 to choose from . Have not been window shopping at any of the local shops since the gouge-fest started so Im not sure what I can pick one up for now . Classic arms & J&G are out of stock as of now . We shall see .
    Jeese , thanks for the offer  :thumbup When or if I have one in hand I will definetly take you up on your offer .
    Al
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Black_water

• Contributor
    « Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 01:17:29 pm »
    It needs to be around, I am going to customize a rifle that uses it.

As for Russians producing ammo, I am waiting for the ammo import bans to start...we might be screwed there too.
    Eric Philips of Young Americans for Liberty summed up the law.

Obamacare will have the efficiency of the Postal Service, the sustainability of Social Security and the compassion of the IRS,” he said

JesseL

• Sr. Contributor
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    « Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 01:26:07 pm »
    We're not completely dependent on foreign imports of 7.62x54R. There is some domestic production, and I imagine that if there were a need there could be a lot more.

http://www.winchester.com/Products/rifle-ammunition/Value/Metric-Calibers-rifle/Pages/MC76254R.aspx
    http://www.hornady.com/store/7.62x54R/

samnev

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 08:31:15 am »
    Domestic manufacturers may ramp up production if surplus is cut off or banned but the price will probably be 4 to 5 times per round than the surplus costs now. That will put a large crimp in the interest in shooting/buying MN's IMO.

Harm

• Devils Advocate Recoil Junkie Loctite Applicator
    • Administrator
    « Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 08:45:19 am »
    Even if the prices become what other foreign calibers are manufactured new, the cost of the rifle being what it is, you are still ahead.  I'll admit I respect the Mosin and especially at the ammo prices, but its not my cup of tea, that said, even if you don't buy the gun just yet, buy 4-10 spam cans full of ammo and put in the back of the closet, then even if the cheap ammo dries up you can still feed it a good long while.  seriously I think even shooting a LOT of Mosin most people get worn out after 30 shots in a day, 440 rounds will take a while at that rate. 

Really wish I'd jumped on one of those 7.62x54 PSL's back in the day - $550 for a 7.62x54 semi auto intermediate rifle?   :love
    I know where my towel is.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 12:22:36 pm »
    I have one of those PSLs. I paid $400 for it in December from a friend. The next day there were a few of them on Back Page and Gunbroker for $1200 +.  I like the thing too much to sell it though.
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

mingheemouse

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 12:10:25 pm »
    The really good, brass-cased, Yugo surplus dried up a few years back, so I took to reloading.

I bought a mess of bulk PPU brass, and found that if you neck size, load to reasonable pressure and anneal it every once in a while the stuff is nearly immortal. I'm not sure I have shot much factory ammo for it recently. Reloading cost is comparable to .308 or cheaper if you use pulled .311 projectiles.

samnev

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 10:49:14 am »
    I don't know if anyone has tried to buy surplus 7.62X5R lately but the supply has dried up. Even J&G's site no longer shows it in stock. I have also checked the usual suspects and they are out of stock as well. Where have all the flowers gone?

altsehastiin

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 12:07:06 pm »
    I bought a spam can through Southern Ohio Guns about 3 weeks ago.  It was $180 plus shipping per 880 rnd case (2 cans), which seems to be the going rate.

This guy, in Tucson, is taking preorders at the same price: http://www.usacsales.com/762x54r-ammo-can.  Hopefully, he's not some fly-by-night con man because I've ordered 2 cases...

akfiles is a pretty good resource for finding who has 7.62x54R in stock.

Teufel Hunden

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 06:39:02 am »
    I bought a spam can through Southern Ohio Guns about 3 weeks ago.  It was $180 plus shipping per 880 rnd case (2 cans), which seems to be the going rate.

This guy, in Tucson, is taking preorders at the same price: http://www.usacsales.com/762x54r-ammo-can.  Hopefully, he's not some fly-by-night con man because I've ordered 2 cases...

akfiles is a pretty good resource for finding who has 7.62x54R in stock.

Thanks for the heads up.  Just ordered a crate myself.  Says they will ship at the end of next week.
    Today I will do what others will not so tomorrow I can do what others can not.

samnev

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11:27 am »
    My brother in law tried to buy the 7.62X54R from SOG yesterday and they were out of stock. Checked their site just now and still shows out of stock. Looks like it is getting harder to get. :thumbdown

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 05:08:04 pm »
    I tracked down USAC today here in Tucson.  They have an office that was not open at the time .. Very small in a nondescript area. I called and they gave me directions to their warehouse.  I met the two guys running the warehouse.. Very nice upfront hardworking guys.  They do some wholesale sales to the large providers and also sell online.  They have great prices on the two calibers they currently have in stock.  They are currently working some ammo deals with foreign countries and hope to have more inventory soon.
    I would not hesitate to buy anything from these guys.  For us Tucson  guys it would be a great cost saving in shipping just to drive over and pick our order up.  It was great to see a huge wall of ammo in wooden crates.....Gotta like that.  They had a whole pallet going out that day waiting on the shipper to pick up.
    I already have quite a bit of one caliber they have and no weapon for the other caliber of I would have walked out with a crate myself.

ROGER4314

• Retired master technician & teacher
    « Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 11:30:39 pm »
    I really like the 91/30 rifles and bought a lot of the ammo for them. I also bought a set of RCBS dies, 200 Lapua cases and some .303/7.7 size bullets. There's nothing mysterious about loading for the 91/30 and data is found in most of the loading manuals. One post was right....a few rounds from those rifles is plenty of fun for one afternoon!

Flash
    You gotta die of something. It may as well be something that you like!

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 11:25:57 am »
    Winchester 180gr 7.62x54R FMJ looks/shoots indistinguishably from PPU 180FMJ, just differing in the head stamp.

Hornady Steel/Berdan loads are made with cases imported from Eastern Europe. It says so right on their site.

Greg
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

Intel6

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 09:02:38 am »
    I had been picking up reloadable x54R brass for years before I finally picked one up. I cast bullets so it was easy to get the correct mould and some dies and start cranking out ammo. I have a few steel plates I hang up at 100/150/200 and I frequently go out and shoot my milsurps with cast bullets at them. Since they have iron sights I do ok but don't expect to hit them every time.  Good fun with lots of shooting on the cheap.   

alman

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 08:34:00 am »
    I had been picking up reloadable x54R brass for years before I finally picked one up. I cast bullets so it was easy to get the correct mould and some dies and start cranking out ammo. I have a few steel plates I hang up at 100/150/200 and I frequently go out and shoot my milsurps with cast bullets at them. Since they have iron sights I do ok but don't expect to hit them every time.  Good fun with lots of shooting on the cheap.
    Always fun hearing that steel ring from a seventy year old gun running 40 year old ammo  ;-D
    -Hunter S. Thompson

anm2_man

• Contributor
    « Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 10:15:44 am »
    UNAMMO here in Phoenix has some Russian commercial   54R for sale http://unammo.com/AmmoSearch.aspx?Cal=7.62x54R
    "Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around, and smart people are reloading."

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 08:02:04 am »
    Before I left NY, I picked up some 85gr (HDY) 32ACP bullets (.312), and may just give them a try as plinkers for the x54R. It won't be until sometime in Autumn before I get my 550B up and running.

Up until very recently, I had 3 Izhevsk 91/30's (1943), all counterbored. Two of them stayed in NY in my Daughter's care. The other accompanied me, and has a Bushnell handgun scope mounted on the sight dovetail directly with air rifle rings. No loose mounts. It also carries an Archangel stock with a 10rd D/M. The barrel is counterbored and accuracy is only ho-hum. I am planning to counter-drill the interior muzzle face to eliminate any possibility of interior muzzle corrosion while in many years of storage, then check accuracy again.

The only commercial ammo I trust to be non-corrosive is PPU. It reloads nicely. I use the HDY .312" '303' Caliber 3130 Interlock SP and IMR-4064.

Greg
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:15:39 am by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #23 on: December 02, 2016, 09:52:41 am »
    With the impending change of POTUS, this question now has new legs.

The importation ban on Russian goods, arms included, resulted from the current POTUS' executive/imperial order(s).

Vague references have surfaced about such orders being reversed in the near future, pending the Inaugural.

Vague doesn't get it, in my estimation.

This question needs to be raised out loud, and in a united voice. Time is come to motivate our NRA Membership and Leadership, as well as our own Congress critters and other Gun Rights Organizations to unbreakable resolution among gun owners to unequivocally reject the status quo and return to the days prior to when harassing legitimate gun owners became a Legislative/Executive sport.

The NRA has provided crucial support to this new administration, and I think this is an area where they now have an obligation to their membership and the rest of the entire Nation to press this issue without fail.

IMHO, the smarmy practice of piling it on the backs of legitimate, eagerly law abiding gun owners constitutes nothing less than a veiled national politically motivated conspiracy, not unlike a RiCO violation, and Atty General-Select Session needs to begin pressing the process of constructing conspiracy and RICO prosecution against the offending parties, including current and past government officials. IMHO, an Independent Federal Prosecutor needs to be established for the purpose of pursuing prosecution aimed in this direction.

This past election was not about politicians' personal peccadilloes, it was about widespread abuse of authority at all levels of government. At least there is finally access to the abusers at the Federal level,at last, and maybe further down in the future.

This distinction specifically includes individuals like Senate Minority Leader Schumer, and House Minority Leader Pelosi. They have literally built their professional careers upon trammeling individual firearms ownership rights in exchange for accruing dubious political advantages in the form political gain and their own continued employment on the people's dime. Lest we forget, this abuse has enjoyed residence on both sides of the Aisle.

This is a matter of organized conspiracy to deny a constitutionally enumerated right to entire categories of citizens. It's criminal in intent, and if it's not a discrete criminal violation, legislation needs to be enacted to make it so. This needs to be more than poo-pooed, it needs to be prosecuted and punished. Communications corporations in this Nation are Federally Licensed.

Communications corporations who participate(d) in this travesty must be held accountable. Where Civil Rights are involved, the First Amendment MUST conform to limits of compelling decency.

This is really, simply a different shade of Jim Crow. Civil rights are not just about race and creed, there are Enumerated Constitutional Amendments that demand active enforcement at the Federal level. Our own government has perpetrated all of the related offenses at that (and other) levels, so this is simply a matter of reestablishing a legitimate balance.

Reparation, in the form of restored freedoms and legislation prohibiting actions by government entities to backslide in this matter must become established law.

The Status Quo Must Go!

Greg
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:42:46 am by JarheadAZ »

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement