Username: Password:

Author Topic: Ishapore Enfield 2A1 308 value  (Read 10615 times)

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
Ishapore Enfield 2A1 308 value
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:37:24 pm »
I might have a possible trade going on with a Ishapore Enfield in 308 and I don't know much of anything about them.  It has a nice looking shiny bore and the stock isn't cracked.  But otherwise, to me, its just looks like the typical wear and scratches you find on a WWII era bolt action battle rifle.

What do the Enfield fans say on the approx. value of the gun? 
"When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

JesseL

• Administrator
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    Re: Ishapore Enfield 2A1 308 value
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 06:47:51 pm »
    Right now I'd say ~$250-300.

Harm

• Devils Advocate Recoil Junkie Loctite Applicator
    • Administrator
    « Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 06:53:18 pm »
    Honestly Ishy's are a hard one to gauge because frankly its been so long since I've seen one in the wild.  Last one I saw was $300-$350.  Honestly as much as I want one I wouldn't pay more than $400 for a Milsurp in great shape.  A new one like a few of the Irish No 4's Mk 2's I've drooled all over on BP you could Justify $500 for LNIB & up to $650 for NIB. 
    I know where my towel is.

brandyspaw

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 08:12:45 am »
    Thanks for the feedback.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    Thomas Jefferson

"Most of my money has gone for guns, cars and guitars.  The rest I just wasted."

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 09:11:00 am »
    Bill I love these Ishapores and own several and think they are way underrated.  Jessel is right on the 250-300 mark.
    "Does your dog bite"?   Grrrrrr
    "He is not my dog"!

AlmightySheep

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 12:30:26 pm »
    Yeah I remember paying about 280 for mine from Piece of History Firearms. Mario also helped me and my dad with our AK and was extremely polite and knowledgeable.
    "When there is mutual fear men think twice before they make aggression upon one another."
    -Hermocrates of Syracuse

ROGER4314

• Retired master technician & teacher
    « Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 11:18:15 pm »
    The Ishapore 2A is a very different breed of cat and well worth checking out. I bought two of them and when I worked at the Texas prison, brought them to refinish while I was off work. I must have hundreds of hours in them as I had nothing else to do out there in the sticks.

The 2A was never designed as a first line rifle but was, instead, for guard duty and rear guard use. It allowed the soldiers to use 7.62 Nato ammo.

The receiver looks like any other Enfield but it's not. That receiver was completely re-engineered because the Enfield receiver was marginal for 7.62 Nato pressures. It looks the same but it's a completely different from the Enfield in metallurgy.

The barrel is actually free floated for almost the entire length. There is a spring loaded/floating pedestal in the nose piece that supports the muzzle end of the barrel. The nose piece is distinctively different from the Enfield rifles. The magazine is also distinctive.

It's a good rifle except for two issues.........
    The Indians installed a giant wood screw through the stock forward of the magazine. It's tacky!

Their idea of finish for the rifles was black paint that looked like it was swabbed on with a mop! Most of the work I put into my rifles was in cleaning every bit of that nasty finish off.

The rifles were seldom used and the 7.62 Nato ammo was non corrosive so bores were usually spectacular!

I refinished both of my rifles and they look great so there's lots of potential!

Flash

You gotta die of something. It may as well be something that you like!

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 11:05:40 am »
    There was an Ishapore for sale at a Tucson gun show this weekend for $175.00 which was a good price usually.  It looked very beat up though and the stock had been pieced together about three times...looked like it had a pretty checked past.
    I was wondering about the headspace and did not have a gauge with me....naturally.. so I kept walking.
    "He is not my dog"!

Cato the Younger

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 06:57:16 pm »
    There was an Ishapore for sale at a Tucson gun show this weekend for $175.00 which was a good price usually.  It looked very beat up though and the stock had been pieced together about three times...looked like it had a pretty checked past.
    I was wondering about the headspace and did not have a gauge with me....naturally.. so I kept walking.

I'm pretty sure I ended up being the buyer of that one.

Do you remember where the stock splices were?

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 10:34:04 am »
    I don't remember but I think you got a good deal.  All of mine are great shooters.  Have you had a chance to exercise it yet?  I am curious as to how it shoots.
    "He is not my dog"!

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 10:58:10 am »
    As a side note I was in Vegas last week and a contingent of British Royal Commandos were staying at the hotel.
    Great group of guys....incredibly young.  Very well mannered and professional.
    They said they were there working with the US Marines.  We talked about a ton of things....Enfields, gun control even Rourkes Drift. They said that as far as shooting we "Yanks" were far and away above them in marksmanship.
    They were facinated by what we were able to own and shoot as opposed to what they could legally own.  Great bunch of guys.
    "He is not my dog"!

Cato the Younger

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 04:46:22 pm »
    I don't remember but I think you got a good deal.  All of mine are great shooters.  Have you had a chance to exercise it yet?  I am curious as to how it shoots.

The spot where I shot last went all the way out to about 50 yards, so I didn't get a chance to stretch her legs, but function was flawless.

And considering the seller had dropped the price to $150, I definitely got a good deal (accuracy test pending).

Guy1az

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 06:47:17 am »
    I saw an Ishapore at the gun show in Tucson this weekend...which was absolutely packed with vendors and attendees..only the one but it was listed at $600 and it was no way in pristine shape.
    "He is not my dog"!

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 10:04:12 am »
    Yup.  The supply of decent ones is beginning to dry up and there's definitely some opportunists out there.
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #14 on: July 19, 2016, 12:33:33 pm »
    I once owned a 2(A) and unknowingly made the mistake of trying it out at 1000yd with 175gr LC Match.

Nobody (maybe God...) knows where those rounds went; and prone with 175 match loads was an extreme exercise in masochism.

I don't miss it, but I do wonder whether a No.1, MK II stock could be 'adjusted' to serve.

Greg
    « Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:38:13 pm by JarheadAZ »
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 12:42:53 pm »
    At 1000 yards you'd need to use the volley sights .  .  .   ;-)    And no, there is nobody who enjoys shooting the SMLE prone. 
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Harm

• Administrator
    « Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 07:09:18 pm »
    At 1000 yards you'd need to use the volley sights .  .  .   ;-)    And no, there is nobody who enjoys shooting the SMLE prone.

Hi.  I'm nobody.  😈

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 07:44:50 pm »
    Nah, you're just a freak of nature.  Or maybe just a freak .    :-P
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Harm

• Administrator
    « Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 07:47:35 pm »
    I'll never tell 😂

JarheadAZ

• Contributor
      • Greg Langelius *
    « Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 04:14:49 pm »
    The exception proving the rule...
    Not lookin' to be in a gunfight, but if you find yourself mixed up in one, it might be kinda nice to have a gun...

"Faint heart never filled a flush" - Brett Maverick

Good marksmanship is no accident - JarheadNY

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement