Username: Password:

Author Topic: M44 vs Chinese 53  (Read 3977 times)

alman

M44 vs Chinese 53
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:46:32 am »
Really considering taking a ride up the hill to J&G this month for a Mosin type carbine . Any opinions on the value of the M44 ($179.00) vs the Chinese 53 ($99.99) ? I've been on the fence about purchasing one of these for quite some time now . I think I'd like to purchase one now before the prices get much higher . Im not opposed to refinishing a hammered stock if need be (actually enjoy doing so) . Has anyone purchased a 53 from the current offerings at J&G ? .  Is the M44 worth the extra $ ? Is the 53 inferior in any way I should know about ? Any feedback would be appreciated .
Al
"THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over"   
-Hunter S. Thompson

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

JesseL

• Administrator
      • Lambert Gunworks LLC
    Re: M44 vs Chinese 53
    « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:56:19 am »
    The type 53s I've seen are generally pretty ugly, with wood that's almost black and a fair bit of finish wear on the metal. The M44s usually look a lot better.

Other than that, there's really no difference in the basic workmanship.

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 10:47:35 am »
    I love my M44.....payed a pretty penny for it but its hot to trot...
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life... -Winston Churchill

Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

alman

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:22:01 am »
    I'm all about getting the best bang for my buck . Having said that I'm still leaning towards a M44 . The 53 seems like a good deal at $99.00 but I don't know if I can employ enough elbow grease to achieve the same level of appearance of the M44 . Less than $300.00 for a un-molested M44 & 440 rounds of ammo is not that bad a deal . Who knows what the same combo could fetch in a year or two . Don't want to wait much longer or I'll price myself out of the M44 . In my mind I already have done this with the Yugo SKS I want . Waited too long on the SKS purchase & now I refuse to pay $400.00 + for one of those .......
    "THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over"   
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 12:59:17 pm »
    I have a Russian M44 and I love that thing to death.  Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.

Based on what little knowledge I have of the 53 I think I'd rather have the M44.  The Type 53 isn't a bad rifle from what I've seen.  Quite the opposite actually.  But if you can afford the extra for the M44, I'd say do it.

On the other hand, if you're specifically looking for a project rifle to doll up, the Type 53 might be a good choice.  As Jesse mentions, there's really not much different other than cosmetics.

Just my opinion though.  As I said, I don't have much experience with the 53.

-T.

Craig010

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 02:37:03 pm »
    I have two 44s (different countries of origin) and a 53.  All of them shot pretty well with no real major differences.  The wood on the 53's stock is a bit soft compared to the 44s.  When I got my 53 the wood was pretty dirty looking.  But I ran the stock through the dishwasher a couple of times then refinished it and she looks darn good now.  Is the 44 worth the additional cost?  Guess it depends on the individual.  But I personally like both of them.

~Craig
    Craig King
    King's Armory, LLC
    Sierra Vista, AZ  85635
    http://www.kingsarmory.biz
    Glock Certified Armorer

alman

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 08:43:10 am »
    Heading up there today  ;-)
    -Hunter S. Thompson

mlshermancpa

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 09:59:57 am »
    I have an M44...paid top dollar for it from Classic Firearms but love it.   Had the headspace checked and drifted the front sight a little...shoots great.   I decided to refinish the stock myself and it turned out great just using Minwax stain and Tru-Oil finish. 

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 10:03:21 am »
    Who ever owned my M44 before me did an excellent job with the stock.....it is sexy
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life... -Winston Churchill

Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

alman

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 07:17:00 pm »
    Picked me up a M44 & 440 RDS at J&G today . I'll post up some pics when I clean her up . Can't wait to shoot her  ;-)
    -Hunter S. Thompson

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 09:39:36 pm »
    Congrats!!!

The Gun Depot has some crappy stocked ones for 140.. been looking at the arch angel stocks more and more....think I might breakdown and buy another one and doing it up with that stock

alman

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 08:39:34 am »
    Had a look at a couple of the Chinese 53 models while I was there . They looked like they were dragged behind the truck up to Prescott rather than in it  :'(  Still thinking one of those for  $99.00 might be a fun summer time project when it's to hot To go shooting here  in the valley .........
    -Hunter S. Thompson

alman

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 09:06:55 am »
    A few shots after cosmoline clean-up  :-) I think I might re-finish the stock...........
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 01:32:39 pm »
    Nice one Al.  Congrats!   :thumbup

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement