Username: Password:

Author Topic: Tuesday Night Steel (Rio Salado)  (Read 9517 times)

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
Tuesday Night Steel (Rio Salado)
« on: February 26, 2014, 08:28:45 am »
I know Shooters Element does the Thursday night steel over at Phoenix Rod and Gun, but thats a trek from where I am at. I went down to Tuesday Night Steel last night to watch, and met a couple guys out there. It looks like a lot of fun, and I am thinking about trying it. Anyone here do the Tuesday Night Steel?
.:Cyris

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

ShootersElement

• www.ShootersElement.com
    • Contributor
      • Shooters Element
    Re: Tuesday Night Steel (Rio Salado)
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 09:27:02 am »
    I know Shooters Element does the Thursday night steel over at Phoenix Rod and Gun, but thats a trek from where I am at. I went down to Tuesday Night Steel last night to watch, and met a couple guys out there. It looks like a lot of fun, and I am thinking about trying it. Anyone here do the Tuesday Night Steel?

One of the guys that does IDPA with us lives out that way and has done it several times. I wish I lived closer so I could come out and do that match with you some time...just a really really long drive for me lol.
    Shooters Element

www.ShootersElement.com

Like us on Facebook:www.facebook.com/ShootersElement

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 10:54:56 am »
    Yeah, I've never done it before.. so a little nervous about my first time =)

If you want to protect your Right to Keep and Bear Arms in Arizona, then you want to join the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL)

PPD7800

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 07:26:44 pm »
    Rio is the premiere shooting club in the country when it comes to USPSA. There is a great bunch of guys out there plus it is just a good time on Tuesday nights. You will get the opportunity to shoot along side of some of the best USPSA and IPSC shooters in the world at Rio. So just go out, look around, let someone at the stat shack know you are a new shooter and are interested in shooting there and they will let you know when the next new shooters class is. All new shooters (non USPSA classified) are required to take the class so don’t sweat it and have fun.
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day"

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:16:09 pm »
    I checked it all out yesterday, the new shooter class is 6pm on tuesdays. Hopefully I can go next week and shoot.

Do you shoot out there on tuesdays?

PPD7800

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 04:13:00 am »
    Not any more, hard to justify the time spent making that long ass trip to the east side and then back home.
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day"

fuzioncore

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:42:52 am »
    You still doing this Cyris? I was thinking about getting in on some of that with my 1911.

My office is at Miller and Indian School so Rio is just a hop, skip, and a couple jumps from me. Would be cool to head that way after work on Tuesday's.

Do they just do it for fun? Or keep track of points and give out trophies etc. to the top people in each class at the end of the season? I've been interested for a while, just haven't really had the time and until recently it was too far lol.

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 11:21:15 am »
    I used to go all the time back when I was a member and reloaded. If you go there during the day you have a big chance of meeting Rob Leatham. I'd start in production gun. Bring a good pistol, 3 mags, good holster, mag carriers, tons of ammo and you're set. You can be standing next to a national champ or your average Joe and you'll be treated equally. The people there are very supportive and can offer any advice or assistance. These aren't big pistol matches so you don't feel like you're competing, just having fun. You don't have to be a member to shoot Tuesday night steel. Just get there at 5:00 for the range safety course and you'll be set.
    I would encourage anybody in the east-side of town to give it a try. It's so much fun. The weather is perfect right now for that.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 11:48:02 am »
    You still doing this Cyris? I was thinking about getting in on some of that with my 1911.

My office is at Miller and Indian School so Rio is just a hop, skip, and a couple jumps from me. Would be cool to head that way after work on Tuesday's.

Do they just do it for fun? Or keep track of points and give out trophies etc. to the top people in each class at the end of the season? I've been interested for a while, just haven't really had the time and until recently it was too far lol.

I haven't done it yet, but I am planning to. I am working down some loads for low power and reliability. Hopefully I can get that done this week and maybe shoot next week. I am looking forward to trying it, as it looks like a ton of fun. Just been super busy.

Here is a link to the page for some info: http://www.riopractical.com/

I will run production, since I have a holster and a couple of mag carriers. After I run a few, I may run some with the 1911 as well.

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 11:57:13 am »
    I thinks most stages require 25 rounds. Unless you're shooting in Limited 10, I'd stick with a double stack .9mm or .40 cal.

ShootersElement

• www.ShootersElement.com
    • Contributor
      • Shooters Element
    « Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 01:57:35 pm »
    I thinks most stages require 25 rounds. Unless you're shooting in Limited 10, I'd stick with a double stack .9mm or .40 cal.

That's if you shoot it clean...lol talk to me about make up shots.

Best to bring 200 rounds and plan on using around 115-125 at the most.
    Shooters Element

www.ShootersElement.com

Like us on Facebook:www.facebook.com/ShootersElement

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 02:27:37 pm »
    I stand corrected, It looks like they've phased out Limited 10 class and just replace it with ''Single stack'' class. You should be fine your 1911. It wouldn't hurt to bring 4-5 8 rnd Wilson or Chip McCormicks with you. Don't bother with those Nighthawk 8 rounders. I bought 2 of them and they turned out to be junk mag that won't even feed 230 grain FMJs.

fuzioncore

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 02:47:35 pm »
    I've got 3 or 4 Wilsom 8 round mags and the factory 7 round mag. I only have a single mag carrier though so I should prob get another one or 2 double mag carriers.

870policemag

• Administrator
    « Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 02:57:25 pm »
    I've got 3 or 4 Wilsom 8 round mags and the factory 7 round mag. I only have a single mag carrier though so I should prob get another one or 2 double mag carriers.

I've got a kydex double mag carrier I could lend you until you get hooked and go all out on gear.

fuzioncore

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 05:05:50 pm »
    I was wrong, I have 1 Wilson mag, 3 chip McCormick mags and 1 factory mag (Been a while since I took them all out of the safe lol).

The 1911 is a Springfield USGI that has had their performance tuning package done on it because it had to be sent back to them when it was new because it wouldnt feed reliably so they did the works on it. I know the sights aren't optimal for matches but I feel competent with them. Though I haven't used them at night so we will see lol.

Holster and Mag Carrier are Serpa Blackhawk CQC

aktech

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 08:05:45 pm »
    This match is a lot of fun and good practice. 4-5 of us drive up from Tucson to run errands and shoot the match every six weeks or so. We will be there shooting on April 1st, no really we will be there :). I think most of us will be shooting production. My name is Gabe and if your there your welcome to hang with us. 

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 08:01:17 am »

This match is a lot of fun and good practice. 4-5 of us drive up from Tucson to run errands and shoot the match every six weeks or so. We will be there shooting on April 1st, no really we will be there :). I think most of us will be shooting production. My name is Gabe and if your there your welcome to hang with us.

Thats awesome! I am actually out of town, and wont fly in unti late that evening. Ill be missing this one, but things calm down a bit so I should be able to start hitting these. Fuzion, you going to run this when you get that g21?

fuzioncore

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 08:19:22 am »
    Thats awesome! I am actually out of town, and wont fly in unti late that evening. Ill be missing this one, but things calm down a bit so I should be able to start hitting these. Fuzion, you going to run this when you get that g21?

That's the plan, but if I can't find a legit buyer for the 1911 I may just send it to a smith to get some good sights installed and some trigger work etc. then just run in the single stack division, or get some of the god awful ugly 15rnd 1911 mags lol.

Cyris

• Beer and Bullets
    « Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 08:21:47 am »

That's the plan, but if I can't find a legit buyer for the 1911 I may just send it to a smith to get some good sights installed and some trigger work etc. then just run in the single stack division, or get some of the god awful ugly 15rnd 1911 mags lol.

I would run with 8rd mags, but I think shooting it with less mag changes is a good idea for the first few runs. If you dont mind pure stock, my wife would probably not mind you using her g19 until you got set up.

fuzioncore

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 08:30:57 am »
    I would run with 8rd mags, but I think shooting it with less mag changes is a good idea for the first few runs. If you dont mind pure stock, my wife would probably not mind you using her g19 until you got set up.

Eh, I would not want to dump someone else's mags on the ground, thanks though. I will likely be buying a G21 in a few weeks (After I pay the tax man an ungodly amount of cash on the 15th) to have along with my 1911 if it doesn't sell. I think some of the hogue overmolded grips, new sights, and trigger work would make it quite a nice shooter. Might as well cerakote it OD green or something while I am at it because it will no longer be a true USGI configuration lol

AzShooter1

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 06:34:49 am »
    One of the best matches to go to.   I used to shoot a revolver there and always had some competition.  The   people are great.  Everyone is willing to help you with advice if you want it and some guys will let you borrow their equipment if you need it.

Since there are divisions and classes per division you don't compete against the Master Class until you get to that level.  It's great to see yourself improve each time you go.

It's addicting.  Go once and I'm sure you will go again and again.

I don't drive anymore so I can't make it.   But I sure do miss it. :-P

Siopao

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 04:09:37 pm »
    I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would ask.

Does anyone here go to TNS?  I’ve attended the PSSC to get qualified to draw.  I was wondering about the start time and if I need to be there at 2PM?  I’m thinking that I can get off of work earlier, but probably won’t be out at the range until about 4.  Also, I’m a totally newbie when it comes to these things and a little nervous about attending.

Any tips would greatly be appreciated!

Ken S LaTrans

• The One You Hate Because He Knows His Shit
    • Jon Baker Is Not Impressed
    « Reply #22 on: February 16, 2018, 09:22:27 am »
    I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would ask.

Does anyone here go to TNS?  I’ve attended the PSSC to get qualified to draw.  I was wondering about the start time and if I need to be there at 2PM?  I’m thinking that I can get off of work earlier, but probably won’t be out at the range until about 4.  Also, I’m a totally newbie when it comes to these things and a little nervous about attending.

Any tips would greatly be appreciated!

I shot TNS weekly for 20 years but the match has changed over the last 2 years (attitudes by some directors) so I stopped driving up about a year ago.  I will shoot Hosemasters on Saturdays if there's no good matches at Pima or in Prescott.

You can sign in as late as 630PM so they can tear down by 9.  It's still a decent match, but not what it once was.

Ugly people have ugly babies.  Stupid people have stupid babies.  Ugly and stupid people have ugly and stupid babies.  Sadly, those ugly and stupid children still seem to find other ugly and stupid people to fuck them.

Siopao

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 10:00:14 pm »
    I shot TNS weekly for 20 years but the match has changed over the last 2 years (attitudes by some directors) so I stopped driving up about a year ago.  I will shoot Hosemasters on Saturdays if there's no good matches at Pima or in Prescott.

You can sign in as late as 630PM so they can tear down by 9.  It's still a decent match, but not what it once was.

Thanks for the reply.  I'll give it a try.  Shoot straight at paper is pretty boring.

armoredman

• Contributor
    « Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 03:17:51 am »
    Too far to drive for me, darn it. :-[

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement