Username: Password:

Author Topic: New shooters!! To me anyway...  (Read 3004 times)

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
New shooters!! To me anyway...
« on: December 07, 2014, 09:10:04 pm »
Scored a deal on a pair of .44s on Backpage today. The top is a CVA 1860 Army, the bottom is a Pietta 1851 Navy. The CVA is good to go, but the wedge on the Pietta is spent, so I ordered one today. The pietta will eventually need a refinish as well as an action job. The hammer pull is crazy stiff. I might chop one of them to 4.5" as a "Sheriff's model" for a faster draw, as well as some variety. I'll decide which one to do it to after I see how they group. The more accurate pistol gets to stay whole, the other gets the "Tail" knocked off of the grip to match the SAA they are trying to imitate, and a barrel chop. Should be fun in general. I wonder if there are other hammer spurs available for these. I've never really looked, but it would be nice if the hammer wasn't nearly vertical.
Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

car-ram-rod

• Sr. Contributor
      • Immediate Action Tactics & Training Group
    Re: New shooters!! To me anyway...
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 11:19:43 pm »
    very cool.
    if i ever stop buying other stuff black powder is on the list.
    NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun Instructor
    NRA Range Safety Officer
    Colt AR15 Certified Armorer
    GLOCK Armorer

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 11:25:01 pm »
    I've loved my .50 cal Hawken for years, and have gone through a few cap and ball .36 revolvers, but an 1860 in .44 was always on the hit list. The 1851 "Navy" in .44 is kind of a myth. Navy was, by nature, a .36. all Army models were .44. This particular gun never existed in real history until it was created by Pietta
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

Steven

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 12:32:03 am »
    Take the grip off the 1851 and loosen the screw on the bottom of the spring. It won't make the action smoother, but the hammer won't be as hard to pull back.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 11:33:41 am »
    I'll probably end up with a spring kit from wolf

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 05:54:08 am »
     Well, I did nearly complete action jobs on both over the last few days. Got them both slicked up very nicely internally, and swapped the mainspring in the 1851 with a factory mainspring from a peacemaker clone. Lightened it up quite a bit actually. I plan to use the gunslinger mainspring that's in my peacemaker as a pattern to trace onto the 1851s factory spring so I can reduce the weight further. I have a spare or 2, so if it ends up too light to detonate caps, I can just swap it back in. I'd have to say, I'm getting pretty darn quick at doing the actions on these and peacemaker clones. It just takes deburring the frames and mirror polishing anything that rubs on anything else without changing angles or radius, and breaking the square edge everywhere that it could hang up (mainly on the hammer).
      The most time consuming part is fitting the bolt to the cylinder stops. Mark the correct side (depending on rotation direction of the cyl) of the bolt with a sharpie where it protrudes, mic the bolt and make a note of it, mic each cylinder stop and take note, stone and polish the bolt to .001 smaller than the smallest stop (on the correct side, of course). Re fit and check timing.
    I'm VERY excited to shoot these, but since I'm taking them to Flag over Christmas (just finished my pop's 1860 as well), I'll wait so I don't have to clean em all twice in 2 weeks..

kalifornia refugee

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 06:41:51 pm »
    Very nice! Reminds me need order parts for my Walker and take my black powder out again, since it been about a year.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 06:58:13 pm »
    Glad to hear you are taking this up in earnest.  Black powder shooting is a dirty job but somebody has to do it.   ;-D
    "I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting you really believe what you just said."     William F. Buckley, Jr.

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 07:19:54 pm »
    I've been shooting BP since I was 6 or so, but I finally scored a deal on 2 that I've wanted for some time now. I'm quite pleased

christopherRobin

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 08:54:35 pm »
    I love my "navy" but I still get about a 30% FTF on the dern thing.  Not sure if its the caps, but the hammer seems to strike consistently. Thank God I dont have to rely on it for anything but range fun.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement