Username: Password:

Author Topic: Mosin Nagant peep/aperture sight  (Read 4230 times)

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
Mosin Nagant peep/aperture sight
« on: January 26, 2015, 05:10:50 pm »
YES!!
Just got this in the mail today
http://www.ebay.com/itm/mosin-nagant-custom-sight-for-m38-m44-and-m53-/111485958093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f514b7cd

and installed it on the bubba'd M44 I plan to use this year if I get drawn for elk and deer. 
If you get one, use a clamp of some sort when installing it to overcome the rear sight spring, or you won't be able to use your thumbs for a few hours.

I like the fit and finish. It comes with 2 screw in apertures, 1 for low light and 1 for daylight. I truly believe that this will improve groups for me with this rifle.
I'll have to develop some hunting loads with my 2 types of cast bullets I make for it and see what happens.   Overall though... :rockon :rockon :rockon
Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

870policemag

• Sr. Contributor
    Re: Mosin Nagant peep/aperture sight
    « Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 05:23:17 pm »
    Hell yeah. It's nice to hear that you can still hunt with irons in this state.  :thumbup  Lord knows I never get close enough to take game without the need for glass.
    Bullets are the only things that do their job only after they're fired.

www.mesapawn.net

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 05:35:08 pm »
    I can confidently take Iron sight kill shots on a game animal out to 225 yds or so, but most of my shots have been in the 50 to 70 yd range. Honestly, for most of the state, a good ol 30-30 "brush gun" is the perfect hunting rifle. Unless you're shooting varmint, predators, or big horn sheep, long shots just aren't necessary.

I'm just super happy to have a decent set of irons on this thing now. I had considered a bent bolt and a long relief scope for it before I stumbled on this great little guy.

NOTE:   I'm pretty sure that the "Costa Grip" will not work with these sights
    Heat it till it's hot, then beat it with a hammer until it's the shape you want.    Blacksmith's advice that works for pretty much everything in life

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 08:17:52 pm »
    Good luck getting a Coues deer with iron sights.  I imagine pronghorn antelope might be an iffy proposition also if you limited yourself to iron sights. 

Not saying it can't be done, but if you can pull it off you're either a lot better hunter than I am or just plain lucky.   ;-)
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 08:25:47 pm »
    I don't hunt whitetail/coues normally. More meat on a muley.  I've eaten antelope before, but wasn't super impressed, so I likely will never put in for it.
    I've regularly been within 25-30 yds of antelope though when archery deer hunting in some areas. Getting close to game has never really been an issue for me though. Stalking and tracking were drilled in to me since I was 6 years old and started going hunting with my pop and uncle. It's less about what camo you wear and more about reading the wind and moving as quietly as possible. It doesn't hurt to have a campfire when in camp as well. Fire is a natural smell to critters, and doesn't alarm them like body odor does.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 08:27:59 pm »
    Agreed.  I too have been ridiculously close to game animals when it wasn't hunting season.     :facepalm     
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

LuckyLeaky

• Administrator
    « Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 08:54:10 pm »
    Or in a national park......
    I remember cutting through the woods at the Grand Canyon getting back to the car.....stopped and relieved my self over the side of a small cliff.... ended up pissin on a fatty deer....
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life... -Winston Churchill

Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 06:41:08 am »
    Hell yeah. It's nice to hear that you can still hunt with irons in this state.  :thumbup  Lord knows I never get close enough to take game without the need for glass.

I have to use irons.  I'm not ambitious enough to track a kill that started out in glass.
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

alman

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 08:39:28 am »
    YES!!
    Just got this in the mail today
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/mosin-nagant-custom-sight-for-m38-m44-and-m53-/111485958093?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f514b7cd

and installed it on the bubba'd M44 I plan to use this year if I get drawn for elk and deer. 
    If you get one, use a clamp of some sort when installing it to overcome the rear sight spring, or you won't be able to use your thumbs for a few hours.

I like the fit and finish. It comes with 2 screw in apertures, 1 for low light and 1 for daylight. I truly believe that this will improve groups for me with this rifle.
    I'll have to develop some hunting loads with my 2 types of cast bullets I make for it and see what happens.   Overall though... :rockon :rockon :rockon

Have you had a chance to shoot your M44 with the new sight ?
    Thoughts ?

Al
    "THE EDGE, there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over"   
    -Hunter S. Thompson

steve2md

• Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 08:48:00 am »
    I took it to Rio Salado recently. The sight is great, but apparently, at 100 yds, my eyes don't do aperture sights very well anymore on anything smaller than 12". I'm sure with better eyesight it would do much better though. For me, I'll zero it at 50 next time I take it out and call it good until I get a scout scope mount for it. Just need to find a scope I can really abuse, as it's my truck gun.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement