Username: Password:

Author Topic: Help Identifying Mosin Nagant Buttplate  (Read 2547 times)

Gunsmoke

Help Identifying Mosin Nagant Buttplate
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:20:17 pm »
I picked up a Mosin 91/30 with a short buttplate installed.  It looks like it came from another type of Mosin.  I compared it to an M44 and M38, those both have the same longer buttplate like a 91/30.  In the photos this unknown buttplate is 3 5/8" long, 1 5/16" wide..  One photo shows it compared to a 91/30.  The last photo shows how it came to me on a 91/30.  Any idea what rifle this shorter buttplate came from?
Thanks in advance.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

Josh Smith

• Smith-Sights
    Re: Help Identifying Mosin Nagant Buttplate
    « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:22:46 pm »
    Hello,

All Mosins use the same size buttplate.  Some are stamped and some are milled, but all are the same size.

It looks like someone took a bit off with a grinder on that one.

Regards,

Josh Smith
    Smith-Sights.com

GTGallop

• N5MKH
    • Sr. Contributor
      • QRZ - N5MKH
    « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 06:36:57 am »
    Considering that mosins were crapped out of several factories as cheaply as possible when resources were tight and repared in the field with rudimentary tools - I'm surprised that any parts are swappable between two units even if their serial numbers are only 100 apart.

If I were guessing, I'd think a smaller butt plate comes from a smaller rifle. Smaller rifles come frome where smaller people live. So where else were Moseys built?
    The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we, as a society, lose that affinity, we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

https://www.qrz.com/db/n5mkh

Gunsmoke

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:15:40 am »
    Josh - looks like you are right.  I didn't notice the grinder marks before, but they're really easy to see on the back side of the buttplate.  Not sure why someone would grind it down that much, the Mosin stocks can't vary that much.
    So mystery solved.  Bubba (or Russian Bubba) and a grinder are the answer to the question.
    Thanks for the help.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement