Username: Password:

Author Topic: .58 Berdan Long... sort of  (Read 4481 times)

Thernlund

• Administrator
  • AZGO Founder
.58 Berdan Long... sort of
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:16:50 pm »
Cool article with cool pictures...

An unusual shop job- Inventing a new cartridge!
by Doc Nickel

As I've mentioned before, I get no small amount of non-paintball work along with the regular stuff these days, often some oddball bit or other.

And this was an especially interesting one. Client was working on an old blackpowder rifle, an 1860's-ish Remington Rolling block. As I understand it, they were originally available in a variety of calibers over the years, but this one was originally a big bore, something like .58 Berdan, if Wikipedia is to be believed.

That's an actual brass cartridge, by the way- it's blackpowder, but not the old flintlock type stuff.

However, at some point in its' long history, some nutball had drilled out the chamber- it looked like they just ran a big drill bit in there. Given the measurements of the new chamber, the owner suspected it had been drilled out to take 24 ga brass shotshells.

The new chamber was way oversize for any self-respecting cartridge, too long/deep to accept an actual cartridge of the same length (due to the shell having to angle past the breech block) and was eccentric to the bore. The owner wanted to save it, mainly for the challenge of it- the rifle was in no way any kind of collectors' item, and had no sentimental value. He just wanted to see if he could make it go boom again.

He brought me the barrel and we plotted a bit on a few course of action. I finally decided to sleeve the chamber with a steel insert (which, as it turns out, I got no pictures of- as I've said, things have been hectic around here.) And then, recut the chamber to something entirely new- the .58 Berdan would have been anywhere from 3/4" to over an inch too short, depending on which version we might have used.

So I invented a .58 Berdan Long. Sort of. As I could control both the breech and the brass, I worked up my own dimensions. Here's what I came up with, flanked by a blown-out .405 Winchester case, and the 7/8" x 2-3/8" brass blanks:

Including test pieces, I eventually made 12 cartridges from bar stock:

Gratuitous shot of flying brass swarf:

And voila`!

For comparison, each case is slightly bigger than a roll of dimes.

I completed these a couple weeks ago, but last week had a chance to go actually shoot the now-assembled rifle with the owner. The long-barreled monster had at some point been (crudely) cut down to something resembling carbine length, with the matching heavily cut down forend stock. I had to trim off another 1/2" or so to get rid of a dent and to square up the crown, and the owner had added a bit of embellishment to the furniture.

The rear sight is an old 98 Mauser part, if I recall correctly, and has a cool sliding mechanism that raises the rear blade up almost two full inches. The owner wanted it modified and attached to the barrel, which I managed to do reasonably cleanly. Probably somewhat optimistic, though I have no doubt if one lofted it enough, that big 400+ grain bullet would actually fly some 2,000 yards.

I got to fire three shots of this monster- we were getting around 1,400 fps, which is pretty respectable.

One was erratic due to an issue with the primer- the load does NOT like large rifle primers- but the other two, while a bit off from the actual point of aim, were surprisingly consistent.

Especially considering the badly rusted nature of the bore.

Definitely one of the more interesting projects I've done recently, and a nice break from even my abnormal routine.

Doc.

SOURCE:  http://www.network54.com/Forum/9013/message/1434015541/An+unusual+shop+job-+Inventing+a+new+cartridge

-T.

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement

KingGlamis

Re: .58 Berdan Long... sort of
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:18:03 pm »
    Very cool! Certainly not something you see every day. I know for sure if I had spare cashola to enjoy hobby guns I would try something like that.
    I consider owning and shooting guns to be a fun hobby. That could also save my life or the lives of others.

ItWasntMe

• Known Agitator
    • Sr. Contributor
    « Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:10:54 pm »
    Bigger than a roll of dimes? :woot
    Have you considered the possibility that pathological narcissism is genetic?

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:35:18 pm »
    Rock and roll is here to stay .    .     .     ( we could really use a head banging smiley around here  :yes )
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

Thernlund

• Administrator
    • AZGO Founder
    « Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 11:16:53 pm »
    It's on the [more] dialog.

Code: [Select]
    :rockon
     :rockon

-T.

coelacanth

• Sr. Contributor
    • eccentric orbit
    « Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 04:48:23 pm »
    I know of a better one if you're interested.    :yes
    " A republic, if you can keep it. "
                                                  Benjamin Franklin

GavenAZ

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 08:38:20 am »
    Great project :thumbup

I like seeing old rifles like this get new life breathed into them .

I've toyed with the idea of getting a sharps trapdoor for a long time but the issue of where to get the oddball brass has always kept me away.
    “Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.”
    ― Mark Twain

ArizonaGunOwners.com

• Advertisement